Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jagfree Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2013, 07:56 PM
    Paying credit card debit for deceased parent
    Can creditors access personal financial records, to obtain a deceased persons wealth, left behind in order to collect a debt owed..
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 21, 2013, 07:59 PM
    Can it happen - yes. But it takes a court order unless there is prior authorization. Some gym memberships do this and withdraw from accounts monthly even utilities do so too.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 22, 2013, 05:01 AM
    The estate and only the estate is responsible for the debts of a deceased. If there is no money in the estate, then you inform the creditors of that fact. They may require proof, but they cannot go after personal assets of the heirs unless they received a bequest before the debts were all paid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Debt of a deceased parent [ 6 Answers ]

My Mom recently passed away and has credit card debt. The house was left to me in a trust and my name is on her bank account as a joint holder. What happens to all the debt that she has? Am I liable for it and will they freeze the bank account for the money?

Credit card debt of a deceased parent [ 5 Answers ]

My father recently passed away and we have discovered he left a pretty large amount of credit card debt. He had very little in savings and checking. About all he has is property that he owned. We three children are inheriting the property, which is clear of any debt. After paying the funeral...

Credit card debt for a deceased parent [ 4 Answers ]

A credit card company filed a statement and proof of claim to collect a credit card debt against the estate of my deceased (87 year old) mother. What little money she had went right to the funeral home. This credit card account had been closed for about 2 years and she was making $100 a month...

How can I tell if a credit card number is a "real" VISA/MC or a card Check?Debit Card [ 3 Answers ]

Is there any way to tell based on the account number? Thanks.

Problems in not paying a Corporate credit card and also a personal credit card [ 1 Answers ]

1. We are the main share holders in a "S" corp. The corporation is not longer doing business but have an outstanding credit card balance. We are making the mim payments but will not be able any longer. What can be done to us if we stop paying. 2. We also used a personal credit card for this...

View more questions Search