Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Doogle Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 01:16 PM
    3rd Party Staffing Agency Worth While?
    I am interested in a professional opinion regarding the third party staffing agency that has a few jobs that they are looking to fill for companies, and then finding individuals with resumes to fill them. I have been to a temp agency before and found a job, but want to know if it is worth while to go to one of these companies for a permanent entry level job? Do reputable companies pay money to these third party agencies to find them employees? It seems like it is something that their HR department could handle, maybe not. I went to one earlier this week and the people gave me an excel test and a word test and helped me with my resume, however, I don't have much faith in them right now.
    dflak Posts: 18, Reputation: 3

Apr 1, 2007, 09:47 AM
    I've been employed via this route.

Companies depend on 3rd party staffing agencies because they don't want to maintain the expense of recruiting in general, or do not want to maintain the expense of recruiting for particular types of positions.

The 3rd party agency doesn't create the job, they merely respond to employers requests.

I am of the suspicion that the way a lot of staffing agenecies do business is to open the mail, walk down a long table that has the jobs they are trying to staff that DAY and if your resume matches one, they drop it on the pile. If your resume is still in their hands at the end of the table, it goes into the circular file.

Be wary of third party staffing agenecies that claim that they can promise you a job. Be wary of those that say they have this "secret database of hidden jobs" that only they and employers know about. Be especially wary of those that ask you for money for such services. In regards to the latter, just say "no." It's 99 44/100 percent sure it's a rip-off scam.

I am also of the opinion that some 3rd party staffing agencies post fictitious jobs to solicit resumes so they can market themsleves to the employing companies stating that they actually represent the people who responded. Everyone denies doing it, but I am sure it happens.

So much for the bad stuff. There are reputable 3rd party staffing agencies.

Consider the fact that they tested you and helped you with your resume as good news. Most of the sleazy companies would not do as much.

During one of my periods of unemployement I volunteered my labor for a staffing agency. I reviewed resumes, helped people with their resumes, and conducted and critiqued mock interviews. From this I learned that some staffing agencies have what they call "hot placements." These are people who have interesting backgrounds for whom they do not have an immediate job placement. However unlike the other resumes that go into a file (circular or otherwise), these one stay on the desktop (figuratively) waiting for the right moment to strike.

The best way to work with one of these agencies is to follow up. Give them a call from time to time and ask how things are going, what are the new trends in the market, and ask them if they have any positions they are having problems filling. With regard to the latter question, they might come back with "Do you know anyone like that?" Tell them if you come across someone, you'll let them know. Calling them will keep your name fresh in their memories.

You, in particular, may have a good reason for calling your agency. Ask them how well you did on the Excel and Word tests and if there is anything you need to learn to improve your score.

Good luck to you on your job search.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 1, 2007, 11:11 AM
    Back in the "old" days when I was in management and a industrial engineer, that was the only way to get the better jobs, many only hired though what we called "head hunters" or employent agencies.

Even today I noted in the medical field, there are many openings only advertised though them.

Back when I was working the higher up jobs, all the fees were paid by the hiring companies, but the lower level jobs the employee paid fees.
    swalther Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 04:00 PM
    Job placement agencies are a lot like or the same as Temp Services. There are pro's and con's to temp services. Only with my experiences though. I found that temp services found me low paying jobs. Also most jobs are Temporary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3rd dui? [ 34 Answers ]

so I just got out of jail on a BAIL for my 3rd DUI in less then 1 1/2 year! I'm only 20 years old and I haven't even gone to court and got my charges for my 2nd DUI yet? And I just got my 3rd DUI. I have court in 2 weeks from today and I'm scard! People are saying that I could end up spending time...

Self-worth - what do you do to take care of your self-worth? [ 21 Answers ]

I think we are all so great to take care of others, however how can we learn to take care of ourselves more? What things can one do to take care of their own self-worth, self-respect, etc.

Credit card debt & a 3rd party collector [ 3 Answers ]

To be honest my credit card debt to American Express has gotten up to about $12,000 because of all the interest. It has been sent to GC Services, a third party collector. I am in school and will be done for the summer in about a month and will be working full-time then but am only working...

How to work as a 3rd party staffing company [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently formed a new staffing company. I have couple of questions 1) How to work as a 3rd party staffing company and make sure that we are not kicked off. For Eg. Let say there is an opening in company 'A' . Ompany 'A' contacted a staffing company 'B' to fill this position. 'B' then...

3rd Party Legal Entitlement on Unsecured Debt [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, Even though this is my first post on AskMeHelpDesk, I have frequented the site on a semi-regular basis. Generally, my questions are already answered. But, I think I have a problem with this one. :confused: I have an Unsecured Debt, (Credit Card), that was charged off and sold to a...

View more questions Search