Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TsutaShine Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2013, 09:58 PM
    Why was I always forced to start an argument?
    Normally I would not like to argue with anyone, especially with my older brother, but sometimes even if I warned him, either it was me or him who causes me to start an argument.

I'm the youngest in the family, and I have less social life than my brother does. When I make one small complain about a serious event, I knew it is impossible to not upset my brother, since he is more serious, we will always unexpectedly argue with each other. And yes, sometimes I will see it coming and I will try to avoid it by warning him not to talk about it OR trying to change subjects, but I could never outsmart him no matter what.

And when it comes to arguing, we always have opposite opinions and I could never make better points to prove my different opinions, I sometimes will feel angered and he will know it and will purposely tell everyone about my current feelings.

I also could never handle with my emotions, and I can't make better points for opinions, my brother can do both but I don't understand why, since we were born with the same genes and we should have the same personality.

But don't get me wrong, we don't hate each other, in fact we are friendly siblings, but I don't understand why this always happens when it comes to serious talks.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 20, 2013, 04:20 AM
    ' we were born with the same genes and we should have the same personality. '

Not true! You were born with the same chromosomes, but not genes equally from each parent (although in theory they can be). If they did, you would all look like clones. Plus, personality includes many factors other than genes. Birth order, peers, countless experiences that each of you had that you didn't share, what you eat, it goes on and on.

Older siblings often like to be know it alls with younger ones, and if you react with anger, that just fuels the fire. Force yourself to stay calm and cool. Practice indifference and shrugging and walking away from arguments. Say 'Your obsession with being right is going to be your downfall' or something. Think of some clever responses that will be a little bit of his own medicine, hopefully. Or just avoid it all!
    TsutaShine Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2013, 08:45 AM
    He does accept his mistakes and he does appreciate it, he loves me.

But the way he teaches me is not what I'm used to in any way. The way he teaches me things is like goad, he will urge me to agree with him or to accept my mistakes, and sometimes the mistake is true.

I do understand it works for some people but oddly not me (since I'm his sister), it never worked one bit, it always felt like it's forcing me to accept something I really hated.

But if I do tell him not to teach me this way, he will just make the worst goad and say "well I won't teach you then", it's like threatening me but at the same time it feels like it is telling me not to give up on learning from my mistakes. It's just confusing, but it's very irritating.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 20, 2013, 10:44 AM
    You allow yourself to be goaded for the most part, just by asking him to teach you. You are free to learn from someone else.
    It just doesn't sound so bad. You love each other, and siblings go through all sorts of differences.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 20, 2013, 05:24 PM
    You will learn self control, and not let your emotions rule you completely and over react when faced with adversity, or conflict. Consider this time in your life "practice" for adulthood.

You need this practicing to deal with other adults who are not friendly, and don't love you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ruud forced air electric furnace will not start [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Ruud forced air electric furnace. My furnace will not come after call from Thermostat. I hear click from thermostat but the heat does not come on. I tried turning on the air, plus aux heat but they will not come on. I have a Honeywell Programmable Thermostat that sometimes shows a wait...

Why do I look for an argument? [ 3 Answers ]

So what I'm here today to ask you is , Why do I crave to fight with my parents. Here's my story... My mom and I don't see eye to eye on a lot of things so, we tend to argue A lot! So now that I live with my grandparents and only see my parents on weekends (im living with my grandparents so I don't...

So who is right in this argument? [ 5 Answers ]

My co-worker came up to me on Sunday and asked me "did the boss say anything about the time table". I said "no" and then he said something like "its changed". He then took out the timetable and showed how it would change to switch our hours because he wanted a day off. I thought that he had to get...

How efficient is it to convert gas forced air to electric forced air? [ 1 Answers ]

I am afraid of a gas furnace, for fear of an explosion. I have had this fear since I was a little boy. Hence, I simply must have an electric heating system. However, the area in the MidWest where I have been considering has almost no electric homes, mostly because of the high electric rates...

Unsound argument and invalid argument [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between an unsound argument and an invalid argument? Give an example of each. When you are building an argument for an issue that is significant to you, do you think it is more important to be sound or valid? Why?

View more questions Search