Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amanda102076 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2013, 08:05 PM
    How to find unknown bank accounts from deceased
    My fathers brother was a very private man, he committed suicide ten years ago. We are almost positive there are old accounts out there that my father would be next of kin, in order to claim the money. How do we go about searching for old accounts
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 19, 2013, 09:03 PM
    Each state has an 'unclaimed property' website run by the Treasurer. Google that and your state name and you should find it. You may be able to look up information by name and then submit a form, with proof of being rightful heir. Answer back if you can't find the site for your state.

There are companies called finders or tracers who will do this for a fee, but beware - some are scammers or at least will take too much out of the funds for their fee. Your state probably has warnings about them.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 19, 2013, 09:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    There are companies called finders or tracers who will do this for a fee, but beware - some are scammers or at least will take too much out of the funds for their fee. Your state probably has warnings about them.
    Yes, be careful about these. Years ago while in college, I had a part-time job working as a secretary for one of these. He was on the up and up and really knew how to do research for people, but nowadays especially with the Internet, the scammers are legion.
    amanda102076 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2013, 10:37 PM
    Thank you so much.. You all have been lots of help. God bless

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can credit card companies axcess any bank accounts other then their bank accounts [ 1 Answers ]

Can a credit card company excess any other banks accounts

Deceased bank accounts [ 3 Answers ]

How can I get access to bank accounts without knowing where the bank is?

How do creditors find your bank accounts? [ 3 Answers ]

How do the creditors find your bank accts? I just wondered because I have accounts garnished at one bank and not at another. Thanks

Missing accounts of deceased mother [ 2 Answers ]

My mother died last month. My brother and I are very confused and suspicious of why my mother only had one checking account. She was very tight with her money. When I was with her not long ago, I witnessed her depositing money into a savings account near her home. I do not remember which bank, I do...

Access to bank accounts of deceased [ 3 Answers ]

My mom recently died without a will I am the only living heir. How do I gain access to checking and savings accounts that are in her name only What do I need to just have the accounts put in my name or what is the easiest way to gain access legally to these accounts Thanks in advance for any help

View more questions Search