Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nkaufman Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2013, 03:45 PM
    Grinding/vibration in water pipes
    Hello,

We have recently started hearing a continuous grinding noise/vibration in pipes for a 2-3 seconds after any faucet is turned off or when toilet after flushing completes filling tank or when shower is turned off. i.e no matter where we use water, shutting off water source after using causes grinding/vibrating noise as if something is being dragged.

Our house is 3 levels built in 2004. A plumber came and said that since the vibration happens no matter which faucet is used, it is due to the pressure regulator valve going bad and that it would cost us $400 to replace.

Our questions:
    (1) Do the symptoms I mentioned suggest that the regulating valve is going bad?
    (2) Does it cost $400 to replace it. The valve is not that difficult to reach, it is at waist level in our furnace/water heater room.

Your advice and suggestions are needed. Please help.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 19, 2013, 04:27 PM
    Hi NKaufman

In answering question #1, yes, it does sound like chatter from the pressure regulating valve (PRV). Before I even finished reading your post I guessed the PRV was the issue at hand (I swear! ).

In terms of pricing, it doesn't sound too far off (material alone is a minimum $150.00), depending on where you are from... ;)

From what I can tell, the plumber came out, diagnosed the problem and is asking a fair price to do a complete job. Sounds like a keeper to me!

Mark

Oct 19, 2013, 04:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi NKaufman

In answering question #1, yes, it does sound like chatter from the pressure regulating valve (PRV). Before I even finished reading your post I guessed the PRV was the issue at hand (I swear! ).

In terms of pricing, it doesn't sound too far off (material alone is a minimum 0.00), depending on where you are from... ;)

From what I can tell the plumber came out, diagnosed the problem and is asking a fair price to do a complete job. Sounds like a keeper to me!

Mark
    Well, this website mentions that it should not cost more than $175 for my zip code - 22030
    http://www.homewyse.com/services/cos...tor_valve.html

Also, was wondering if removing air by turning off water supply, draining water from all faucets will help at all.

If so what are the proper steps to do this:
    Turn off water supply
    Turn on all faucets etc and drain water
    Run all toilets
    Now do I keep some faucet turned on or should I turn off all faucets?
    Turn on water supply.
    Do I turn on faucets now from closest to water supply and then go upstairs?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 20, 2013, 06:21 AM
    Go back and look at that site again... it is suggesting that the labor and basic materials is around $175.00... doesn't include the pressure regulator (adds another $100.00) or the cost of permit and tax.

If you think you can do better, you only need to call a couple more plumbers and get estimates from them.

Finally, no, draining and refilling the system will not help fix the PRV... needs to be replaced, so it needs to be replaced.

Good luck!

Mark

Oct 20, 2013, 10:29 AM
    Go back and look at that site again... it is suggesting that the labor and basic materials is around 5.00... doesn't include the pressure regulator (adds another 0.00) or the cost of permit and tax.

If you think you can do better, you only need to call a couple more plumbers and get estimates from them.

Finally, no, draining and refilling the system will not help fix the PRV... needs to be replaced, so it needs to be replaced.

Good luck!

Mark
    I think you are mistaken. The site clearly says that materials is between 41.88-45.35 that includes valve (see where it says "1 valve") and includes all fittings. Labor is for 2.1 hrs.

Pressure Valve Labor
    Direct labor expenses to install pressure regulator valve. 2.1 hours $105.73 - $112.99
    Pressure Valve Job Materials and Supplies
    Cost of supplies that may be required to install pressure regulator valve including: fittings, mounting hardware and connectors. 1 valve $41.88 $45.35
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 20, 2013, 11:28 AM
    I don't know what pressure regulator they are talking about at $41-$45 as any I install sell at wholesale for $100. I'll bet your plumber installs the ones that I install...PRVs with strainers...more expensive, but can be cleaned out easily when/if they get clogged up.

For fun though, say we can find a pressure regulator valve for $40.00 wholesale....how about material mark-up...fair for a company to give a mark-up on material right? So, at a business minimum that PRV should sell for $60.00. Now, the male adapters for this cost about $3.50 a piece (so I charge $10.00 for both). The gas, solder, flux, sandcloth, and copper pipe, etc. for soldering/connecting is a base charge of a minimum of say $20.00 and then there are required hangers, etc., too.

Labor for 2.1 hours....so local plumbing companies charge about $50.00 per hour on average in your area? Because that is what 2.1 hours breaks down to at $105.73 - $112.99. I'd worry about any plumbing company that charges $50.00 an hour...;)

The site is not correct about anything (I checked other zip codes I know and they were ridiculous numbers). Anyway, it doesn't matter what the site says...you have a quote for $400.00 and as I said in the very beginning, "price depends on where you are from", so get two more estimates and see what happens from there...

Good luck!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 20, 2013, 12:42 PM
    No plumber is going to be in business more than one month charging $50 an hour. After that he will be looking for a job so he can pay his mortgage and feed his kids.

Oct 29, 2013, 09:17 AM
    Go back and look at that site again... it is suggesting that the labor and basic materials is around $175.00... doesn't include the pressure regulator (adds another $100.00) or the cost of permit and tax.

Good luck!

Mark
    Got another plumber to take a look at it. He wants to replace PRV as well as main water spigot valve as well. He stated that normally people replace both at the same time.

Ah well..
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2013, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nkaufman View Post
    Got another plumber to take a look at it. He wants to replace PRV as well as main water spigot valve as well. He stated that normally people replace both at the same time.

Ah well..
    What is his cost and does it include spigot? Why replace if it is OK.

Nov 11, 2013, 06:45 AM
    Total cost $600 for both PRV and main water spigot. Don't think I'll be going with this guy though.

Jan 9, 2014, 10:42 AM
    Got ONLY PRV replaced and noise is now gone. Thanks for your assistance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

vibration pumping noise in water pipes when water is running and after [ 0 Answers ]

The water pipes in our mobile home have begun to vibrate and make a pumping sound whenever water is turned on anywhere. We have had a plumber twice. Once he did something at the box at the street, but that only helped for a matter of hours. He came again and did something with the pressure valve...

Noise/vibration in pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Just moved into home that was vacant for some time. When I turn on cold water or flush toilet, I get a loud vibrating/humming noise in my basement - not near boiler or anything. If I turn water back on briefly, it stops. Help?

Water vibration in pipes [ 4 Answers ]

I live in a condo and the only water pressure is by gravity. A water pressure pump has been installed on the top floor to increase pressure and we now have a vibration through out the building when he turns his taps on. This is a new condo constructed entirely of concrete block and it thought...

Vibration in pipes after toilet flush [ 1 Answers ]

My toilet is 6 months old After I flush my toilet,about 3 or 4 seconds later it sounds like a vibration noise in my pipes in the basement This has done this for a long time

View more questions Search