Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oddtree Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2013, 11:08 AM
    Rights are terminated, why pay child support?
    My son's parental rights were terminated and I adopted his daughter, soon after, the friend of the court started garnishing his wages for child support. If he's not legally the parent, how can he be responsible for child support. He never sees and doesn't know his daughter. I am legally responsible for all aspects of her life. Also, if I opt out of child support, will they continue to take his wages and just not give me any, or will they stop.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2013, 11:12 AM
    The child was adopted... legally all responsibilities of his ended at that point. He needs to get a lawyer and have them present all the documentation proving the adoption took place.

There is a chance someone didn't "get the memo" and are operating on the assumption he is still legally the father. A lawyer should be able to get the right motions filed to end it...The assumption being he was current and up to date at the time of the adoption.....if he was in arrears at the time of adoption...that ammount would still be owed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 19, 2013, 02:06 AM
    Or there could be old child support due. Perhaps the son has not notified them of the adoption?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 19, 2013, 08:35 AM
    You are correct that a legal adoption ends any future support obligation. So either you got custody and not an adoption (they are different), or the court is not aware of the adoption, or they are collecting back support.

Has anyone talked to the "friend of the court" and asked why they are taking support payments? Are you getting those payments? (if so, there is nothing stopping you from returning the money to him.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

If parental rights are terminated, am I still required to pay child support? [ 4 Answers ]

I am the legal father of a 9 year old boy. I have seen this child twice since he was 6 months old. We live several hundred miles apart and I have had no contact with his mother or him since he was 2. I pay child support and am considering relinquishing my parental rights. Will I still have to...

What happens to child support if the mother has her parental rights terminated [ 5 Answers ]

My question is: my husband pays child support for his son 14 and he now want to live with us. The child support order was done in Mass. And she lives in Arizona and we live in Nevada. She has made no attempet to stop the child support order nor do I think she will. But now she is relinquishing her...

Rights terminated & asking for child support. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Im new here and hope to get help that is the facts as everyone I know has a different answer. Here goes: Make a long story short, I am a young single mother of 2 girls. 1 is about to be 13 & the other 4 this month. Both different fathers. The first I was young and her dad didn't want her &...

Child Support from a father whose rights are terminated [ 11 Answers ]

If I have my baby's father's rights terminated, can I still get child support from him?

Terminated rights and child support [ 2 Answers ]

My ex husband voluntarily terminated his rights. The court terminated his rights after I agreed. I agreed to this because of abuse. He had a lot of $ and did not want 2 pay child support. Jump forward 9 years. Was I legally supposed to receive no child support?

View more questions Search