Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JenNeedsHelp Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2013, 08:01 AM
    I'm Scared of Dying?
    Okay, I'm really scared of dying and it terrifies me just thinking what will happen after you die, eternity and all this stuff! It makes me feel so weird and makes me come to the point of crying and thinking about my parents dying. What is wrong with me? :(
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2013, 08:05 AM
    Everyone is afraid of dying... it's the abnormal people that don't... or those close enough to it they've made their peace.

Fact is everyone dies... always been that way... always will be.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 18, 2013, 08:10 AM
    You are 13, right? Interesting! I'm thinking back to 13 (53 years ago) and what I thought about death back then. I went through 'something,' not a fear, but a pre-occupation with it. I thought I had invented pantheism, the idea that God is in everything. And that when we die we float around the earth as spirits, not somewhere in a heaven above the clouds. I found that very soothing. But I also thought about death in terms of how angry I was at my mother and how I would die in an accident and she'd be sorry. I had just read Tom Sawyer and wanted to go to my own funeral. Preoccupied with death? No more than any other teen who thinks and reads and has problems.
    Advice? You'll get through it. It's part of growing older. Not too long ago, you, your parents, and everyone would live forever. Now you realize they don't.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2013, 08:30 AM
    You should look at various religious concepts and see if any of them are right for you.
    On the other side of the coin, some folks look at the fact that their status of not being alive after their death will be the same status they were in - before they were born. The only problem with that theory is whether there is a hell.
    If you really want to boggle your mind, consider what it would be like if we all lived forever. Would we get continually older with all the infirmities that come with aging, stay at a perfect health age forever? I haven't been able to envision any options that would work.
    To answer your question, there is absolutely nothing wrong with you. I think that wondering about your parents dying is the mind's way of preparing you for that eventuality. And the more you study and think about life and death and how it works and what the various religions say about it etc- the easier it will be for you to come to terms with the facts.
    Edit- have to remove bolds frequently as of late, that I didn't put there and which change the meaning of my words.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 18, 2013, 08:49 AM
    When I was your age (a thousand years ago), I too, and like joypulv, went through the same kind of phase as you are now. I would babysit my younger sibs when my parents would go out to a party or movie, and if they weren't back when they had told me they would be, I would begin to freak out, thinking they had died in a car crash or had been killed by some evil stranger, when in actuality, they had stopped on the way home for ice cream or maybe the movie had lasted longer than they thought it would.

Yes, you are realizing we are all mortal beings. That's good because you are learning how precious life is and appreciate it with all its blessings. Many people I loved have died, but 99% of the time they were old and sick, so death was a good thing that released them from pain and earthly problems. When young people die, too often it's because they engaged in some kind of risky behavior with fast driving or taking street drugs or because they don't talk with helpful adults about their problems with bullying or depression and then take their own lives.

So my message to you is take good care of yourself mentally and physically. Get help when you aren't managing well on your own. If you're worried about the afterlife, visit a few churches to find out if any of their messages comfort you. I figure the world did just fine before I got here, so I'm sure it will do just fine once I'm gone. And I do look forward to an afterlife that's much nicer than this one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scared of him and scared of ending my relationship... again [ 39 Answers ]

Hi Although I am a mature, divorced woman with children, I don't know how to handle my current situation. I have been with my partner for 2 years and it's never been a smooth relationship and I probably should have got out a long time ago but I believe I have had issues with self-esteem, which I...

I am really scared of dying [ 19 Answers ]

Since my friend passed away about a year ago, I am always thinking about death. Mainly at night when I go to bed, I'll start to think about where ill go and if I really believe in god or not. Sometimes I cry myself to sleep because I can't bear the thought of dying suddenly and not being able to...

Scared to have sex.that's right, scared. [ 10 Answers ]

Okay, hopefully you are done laughing enough now to read this. Lol. Anyway, I'm talking to this girl, and I'm hoping it will turn into something some day. Besides this, a serious relationship usually involves sex at some point. Problem is, that's right, you guessed it, I'm scared to have sex. Lets...

I think I'm dying... [ 2 Answers ]

Please help... My boyfriend and I broke up and I was hoping someone could give me an idea or two for an amazing romantic gesture... that doesn't cost anything... and that would REALLY fix and help things... I don't want to lose him because he is truly the only guy that really cares... we've been...

I think I'm dying [ 2 Answers ]

I've been having weird nightmares about my recent grandmother and I feel I am going to get an icredibley life threatening disease and I'm going to die very shortly... I'm really scared :( please help me! If I do die what will be instore for me on the other side... is there really a tunnel to...

View more questions Search