Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Praj1985 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2013, 10:02 PM
    Guilt over death of kitten
    I accidentally stepped on my kitten and she died. :( am reeling from guilt and pain.
    Have never had cats before but my husband insisted.

I have had dogs in my life and somehow I have never hurt a creature before..
    Not that this was anything other than an accident, but its different-she is dead. :(

I don't know what to do...
    After we buried her near her home in the garden, I thought I will feel OK.
    But the guilt it so strong.

Has this ever happened to anyone before?
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Oct 18, 2013, 04:39 AM
    I have moved your post to it's own thread so that you can get responses to your particular situation.

Many of us have lost pets, it is never easy to deal with especially when we think there is something we could have done differently.
    I take it this was pretty recent, it will get better with time.
    Give it a little time, when the heartache lessens you could always put a small memorial in the garden for her, there are nice little stones that you can purchase or you could make your own. Or you could plant something by the spot where she is. Unless that is too painful for you. Personally I look at my stones and remember that pet fondly, but I will always miss them.
    Praj1985 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2013, 05:03 AM
    Thank you LadySam, your response was consoling
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 18, 2013, 08:02 AM
    To add to the memorial part of grief, you can 'pay it forward' (it being guilt in this case) by getting another kitten in the not too distant future, and lavishing your usual love and care and tenderness on that one.

People who feel guilt over what they did about anything have all sorts of ways to make amends. You may not have to feel guilt, but you do anyway, so it's not really important how much of an accident something is. Work in shelters, donate time and support to organizations for animals. Drive around looking for lost pets you see on Facebook.

Guilt is normal enough, but it's self indulgent if we let it just fester without 'doing something' positive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat ran away with 1 kitten and returned without the kitten [ 3 Answers ]

My cat had 5 kittens two weeks ago and this past weekend she ran away with 1 of the kittens. Two days later she returned but did not bring her other kitten. We believe she didn't leave the neighborhood cause our neighbors saw her walking around each night in the neighborhood but did not want to be...

Male cat acting kitten to male kitten after bringing kitten home neutered. [ 1 Answers ]

I have three cats, Microchip, Monk and Minx. Microchip and Minx are 1+ years old and fixed. Monk is about 6 months old. All of our cats used to get along well. They'd sleep all huddled together. The two males were very close. Micro would groom Monk, play with him, and was inseparable. We took Monk...

My Older Kitten hates my new Young Kitten. [ 14 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, Im hoping someone can help me. I have a 5month old kitten at home who is usually very affectionate and loving (also spayed) Yesterday I rescued a 9 week old kitten so my eldest would have some company when I'm out at work. I knew they wouldn't get on great at first but my...

Will my older kitten ever be nice to my new kitten? [ 5 Answers ]

I have never had cats before. I adopted a male neutered kitten who is now 11 weeks old. Today, I adopted a 7 week old male neutered kitten, as a companion. I didn't realize the size difference would be so great until I got my new kitten home. 4lbs vs. 1.2lbs. My older cat seems to want to play, but...

Guilt at having an affair. Years ago, but just like yesterday Guilt Guilt , Guilt [ 5 Answers ]

I got married in 1992 after being with my partner for about 18 months , life was good. I found out I was pregnant, our daughter was born the same year. It wasn't long before I felt lost, alone and just an object that was there to look after and care for our daughter. He probably never meant to be...

View more questions Search