Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CFulmore1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 10:51 AM
    Are you still liable for a debt that has been delinquent for over 8 years?
    If a credit card account has been delinquent since 1998/99 and has been on my credit report for over 8 years, am I still liable for that debt? Shouldn't this debt be null and void? I noticed that every time this particular credit card debt is sold to another collection agency, it shows up on my credit report as a new debt, when in actuality the account has been delinquent for over 7 years, is this legal?
    finessed1 Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CFulmore1
    If a credit card account has been delinquent since 1998/99 and has been on my credit report for over 8 years, am I still liable for that debt? Shouldn't this debt be null and void? I noticed that everytime this particular credit card debt is sold to another collection agency, it shows up on my credit report as a new debt, when in actuality the account has been delinquent for over 7 years, is this legal?
    It is legal and that's the way for them to keep that account on your report. As long as they keep selling it to new agency's... the 7 or 8 year clock begins again. In my opinion, they are all in it together... different name but still the same. Maybe if you contact them and come to some agreement, that may help. But for something as ancient as it is I wouldn't offer no more than 50% of the debt, if that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card debt gone after 7 years? [ 7 Answers ]

Let's say that someone owe's a lot of money to credit card companies and decides to stop making any payments on the debts for 7 years. After 7 years is the debt forgiven, the credit report wiped clean of the debt, some combination of these two, or none of the above?

Debt collection that is over 10 years old [ 3 Answers ]

I received a letter yesterday from a debt collection agency that said they had purchased an account on 12/21/06 that had a debt I owed to US Cellular for cell phone use. I thought there was some mistake so I called and was told this debt was dated 3/18/96 and was for $334.42. I had not heard...

Collection Agency - Over 2 years old debt? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi My parents received a call from a Collection Agency regarding ME They took the info and I called them Apparently over 2 years ago I had an outstanding bill with Bell Canada I asked the Collection Agency to tell me what was on the Bill They stated they only had a dollar amount and no...

Debt almost 10 years old [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I would like to know if debt old almost 10 years it is still valid.it is $1400 debt bought by afnicollection from verizon inc New Jersey.nowbody has contact me for 10 years now sudenlly I got this letter from them in order to collect this debt so what do I do> help me.thank you.

Liable for debt of deceased mother [ 7 Answers ]

My mother has recently passed away, leaving an outstanding loan. The bank have said that my brothers and I must pay the balance of £4700. However, there is no money in my mothers estate and so we would have to pay this ourselves. Are we liable for payment or should the bank write the debt off?

View more questions Search