Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lizzy303 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2013, 12:05 AM
    Thermometer sterilisation
    Why can't a clinical thermometer be sterilised by using boiling water?
    Celine91 Posts: 51, Reputation: 9

Oct 16, 2013, 01:27 AM
    Mercury at boiling temperature of water (100 deg. Celsius) will eventually heat up and expand thus making high pressure and thermometer would burst!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How might a thermometer explode? [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know for my chemistry Lab Report.

Sterilise a clinical thermometer [ 5 Answers ]

Hello! I was wondering why can't a clinical thermometer (whose range is between 35 degrees Celsius and 42 degrees Celsius) can't be sterilised using boiling water? And how can be sterilised then? :confused: Thanks in advance!

BIOS Weather Thermometer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a BIOS wireless Weather Thermometer (the unit says BIOS Weather Station on the front and FCC ID: OWF-WSRX /0881 on the back). The unit stopped work so I replaced the battery and the display is still blank, is their anything that I can try (troubleshooting) or just trash it? Thanks, Bob

No thermometer! [ 4 Answers ]

I think my son has a fever his back and head are hot. I don't have a thermometer and no car to go get one at the moment. He's not throwing up or anything just a little fussy. Is there a way to know if he has a fever high enough to go to the hospital? Or am I just out of luck because I have no...

What's the best thermometer? [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone found a fast and accurate under arm thermometer? My kids have febrile seizures so we are always taking temperatures. And at 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 they are not easy to keep still for the two minutes that the more accurate thermometers take. I have been on an endless search for the perfect...

View more questions Search