Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Oct 18, 2013, 12:48 PM
    Clearly talking to each other constantly is making things worse. And clearly no contact is not working either.

Tell you what. Why don't you come up with a compromise.

Why don't you two stop contacting each other for a specific period. I'm going to say 6 months. And during these 6 months, both of you will have the time to clear your mind. I'm sure that if you do not contact each other for a good 6 months, your minds will be much clearer and more objective.

Then in 6 months you two can have another conversation about whether you should get back together, stay friends or stay away.

The reason I propose this is because until you both clear your minds, neither of you will be thinking straight and you are just beating a dead horse. Why not spend some time EACH, to regain your strength and objectivity before having another conversation.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 18, 2013, 01:26 PM
    If indeed you are stressing over this relationship break up, then you really do have to leave her alone until you have gotten yourself under much better control, and can make better adjustments to the reality of your situation, based on FACTS, and not just feelings of hurt and disappointment.
    depressedzombie Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Oct 18, 2013, 03:56 PM
    Thanks guys, I agree that time apart will help me and her fix both our lives, she is a very Christian girl & wants marriage but at the time of the break up 8 month ago I was the kind of person who liked to go out and party with friends. She has even hinted that in the future if I continue to fix my act there is a chance we will get back together but I just feel like that is false hope. It is just kind of a unreal experience because I have not went a month without talking to this girl for the past 8 years. So by NC it just scares me that I will never see or talk to her again. This girl isn't just ANY girl, but this is reality I guess and life gives no s. But with this NC I will work on myself so that if she does come back I can be the man she always wanted.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 18, 2013, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by depressedzombie View Post
    she is a very Christian girl
    Does she expect you to become a Christian too?

Oct 18, 2013, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Does she expect you to become a Christian too?
    Not at all, she just wants me to respect her familys religion. I have never been a religious person.
    Expert

Oct 18, 2013, 04:09 PM
    Not at all, she just wants me to respect her familys religion. I have never been a religious person.
    You don't have to be religious to show respect so how were you not respectful to her family or there religion? I do not understand what she expects of you.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 18, 2013, 04:13 PM
    If she's "very Christian," do you think that will work, since you are not at all religious? I'm not saying you should suddenly start going to church or join one, but she did say she wants you to "fix your act." What does that mean?

I wonder if she (and her family) will use your lack of interest in religion against you and as a reason not to reconnect with you in the future. I grew up in a very Christian family that refused to allow me to date guys who did not belong to the same church body we did. I'm wondering if you, as the unchurched person, will encounter this same resistance from her and her family. Maybe this is another reason to move on.

Oct 19, 2013, 01:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    You don't have to be religious to show respect so how were you not respectful to her family or there religion? I do not understand what she expects of you.
    I actually did a lot of disrespectful things, I went to there church a few times and would always get upset with her when I had to go. Which was a very childish thing to do, I should have went to make her happy and not complained. Looking back I did act very childish and selfish in ways but I have had time to reflect on little things like that and change myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    If she's "very Christian," do you think that will work, since you are not at all religious? I'm not saying you should suddenly start going to church or join one, but she did say she wants you to "fix your act." What does that mean?

I wonder if she (and her family) will use your lack of interest in religion against you and as a reason not to reconnect with you in the future. I grew up in a very Christian family that refused to allow me to date guys who did not belong to the same church body we did. I'm wondering if you, as the unchurched person, will encounter this same resistance from her and her family. Maybe this is another reason to move on.
    She isn't VERY Christian, It is more of her family when I first met her she was against how her family was but now that she is older she has started to lean towards it more but she does attend her familys church and she has never questioned my faith, she has also always dated outside of her religious community. She always just wanted me to go to church with her and her family to show them respect. But her family is against a lot of the things I do in my life like being covered in tattoos, you can't judge a book by it's cover but you can't tell them that.

Made it through today with NC, hopefully it gets easier. :/
    Expert

Oct 19, 2013, 03:46 AM
    It's really hard to do as we want when we have many influences and circumstances in our lives. Hard to let go of old ties, and build new ones. The hardest part of NC is closing that door completely, and with today's social network and texting, its all to hard resisting the tug from the past. it's a real challenge to completely ignore the trap of false hope and control ourselves when we get that text out of the blue and stir all those feelings up again.

I can tell you from experience that this is probably the hardest thing you can do in life, resisting the urge to keep hope alive regarding her. But you both will have to heal. That's going to take time. The first love is unforgettable, and will always have a place in your heart forever, but it will give way after focus returns but until then its very difficult, I won't lie. It will get better in time and you won't be so stuck on those feelings. Hopefully neither will she.

Remember that when you get those texts from the blue, because she will suffer through this too.

Oct 19, 2013, 10:44 PM
    I broke down and messaged her again tonight and she said she hated me and to leave her alone, I see no hope anymore. I am so sick of being depressed.
    Expert

Oct 20, 2013, 06:52 AM
    Sorry you have gotten you closure this way, but now you have the incentive to make this the first day of your life by closing the door of the past forever, and opening a door to your own future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I tell my boyfriend I am mad about something's with out him getting mad [ 10 Answers ]

He is spending a lot of time at his mothers lately. Not normal something he does. He is adding cell phones to his contract but I am not on it. He is giving his 16 year old a nice ford truck because she is sick. Doesn't talk to me unless he has to. Ask him to hold me and he puts his hand on my back

She is mad at me [ 50 Answers ]

So I have been with my girlfriend and we hung out all last night till 5 in the morning with 10 other friends and we were having so much fun. But last night she started getting mad because I kissed her in front of her ex. I asked her before I kissed her if it was all right to kiss in front of her...

Am I mad or what? [ 4 Answers ]

Ok here goes I was with my ex for 2 years and we split up 15 weeks ago, he met someone else last weekend and I accept that and wish him every happiness. However I still love him and feel it would be cheating on him if iI met someone new despite it being obvious due to new girlfriend he not want...

Everyone's mad [ 4 Answers ]

Ok well, this guy named Patrick asked me out and I said yes and this is like the 8th time I've dated him and my friend is really mad at me and everyone keeps saying things about me like called me a slut and a whore and I don't know what to do its driving me crazy and I'm not just going to dump Pat...

View more questions Search