Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caroln Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 09:58 AM
    Tax penalty to take 401k to pay off house
    :confused: Is there a tax penalty if you take 1/3 of your 401k to pay off your home loan?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Yes unless you are at one of the allowed places in your life to take money out. You can borrow against most 401K at very low interest rates
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Mar 29, 2007, 10:35 AM
    Taking money out of your 401-K is generally a bad, bad move. If you are less than 59 1/2 years old, you will get hit with a 10% penalty, AND that amount will be added to your income that you will pay taxes on. I had a good friend who did this, and then had to get a HELOC to pay her tax liability, even though she was old enough to avoid the 10% hit.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 29, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Unless its needed to stave off foreclosure you will pay a 10% penalty on the an early withdrawal of your 401K. This is in addition to the tax liability that you will have to pay regardless.

It also doesn't make sense from an economic standpoint since mortgage interest is tax deductible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K penalty tax [ 2 Answers ]

I withdrew 35,676.09 from 401K with 7,135.21 federal tax with held. Can you tell me how much more I will have to be paid from this amount when taxes are done this year. This withdrawal was done in 2006.

How much tax do we pay for house/property inherited? [ 1 Answers ]

so I'm not sure how all these taxes work, but my mom was asking me if she put in her will to give one of us the house/property, how much tax do we pay or she pay? She also mentioned that there are some legal forms we have to sign for that too and that there are several types, which one would be...

401K Penalty and Tax Question [ 11 Answers ]

undefinedLast year when I left my job I took my 401K money in the amount of $9850. I realize I have to pay taxes on this in the amount of $1174 (from tax table) and a penalty (I am unsure of the amount). (Is this penalty after tax?) I have listed this on my 1040A line 11a as an "IRA Distribution"...

401k tax & penalty [ 1 Answers ]

The company I worked for closed April,2005 and we were given our entire 401k balance. I have no plans to roll this over. I have placed 30% into a savings acount because I know I must pay 20% tax and 10% penalty. My question is: Is the tax and penalty due now or can they both be done at tax...

401K Penalty and Tax Question [ 4 Answers ]

Last year when I left my job I took my 401K money in the amount of $9850. I realize I have to pay taxes on this in the amount of $1174 (from tax table) and a penalty (I am unsure of the amount). (Is this penalty after tax?) I have listed this on my 1040A line 11a as an "IRA Distribution" (this was...

View more questions Search