Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Judydeancunning Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2013, 01:40 PM
    My dryer squeals then stops. Then runs again
    My dryer started smelling like something burning from the filter area.Then it started squealing. Replaced the belt. It squealed again a few times then stopped. Today I turned it on to see if it hummed. It runs and squeals. Please help, I can't afford a new one.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2013, 05:33 AM
    Most likely it is dirty and lint deposits have built up, as it always does, in all the air ducts which will cause the main safety to blow causing the problem you described.You need a multi-meter to find which safety is blowing. You will have to take it all apart and clean the drier out thoroughly or it is all for nothing. Every air duct will have to be removed and scraped and washed out to remove baked on lint deposits which bakes on like a concrete lining. This will burn so the manufacturer has installed the safeties to keep from having a house fire. The safeties are oval-shaped with a round center part containing the safety with two plug-on terminals for the wires and when they burn open, from the dryer being dirty, nothing will work or it will not heat. Using an ohm meter you put a lead on each terminal of the safety, with one wire unplugged, and if it is good you will have a reading of about zero; if it is bad it will read infinity. On your dryer you may also have to test some thermistors if it has them. They are sensors that are around in different places to test the temperature and you test them with a meter set to ohms and compare the reading to a chart. They are specific to the dryer, but if you read nothing or a short you will know it is bad. Probably, once you clean it the dryer will run find after the blown safety is replaced, too. Driers were the number one cause of fires at one time, hence now we have safety fuses. One the things that is probably wrong is that the bearings are seizing up and the motor is kicking out on overload. You will need to replace or grease the bearings with white lithium grease or if scored the bearing needs replacing. Look at: How to clean your clothes dryer. How to make it hot again. - YouTube to see how. Also look at these to get an idea about how to clean it: Mr. Appliance Tips: How to Clean Your Dryer - YouTube ; Cleaning a Dryer Vent and Lint Trap - YouTube
    Electric Clothes Dryers Dryer vent cleaning prevents fires - YouTube and: Cleaning out a dryer with top lint cleanout - YouTube
    Cleaning out a dryer: By a woman 2 of 2 - YouTube
    When you finish cleaning the drier it is best to also replace the belt, too, because you do not want to have to disassemble it all over again and if the belt is over two years old you should replace it.

Note that on most of the videos it does not show them washing out the parts, but this is important because it's the only way to really get the parts clean, just don't get motor wet or the capacitor if it has one. Vacuum out the motor to remove all dust. I would move the drier out to your garage to have plenty of space to work. You also want to check your vent and clean it, also. The vent should have a short run and be straight as possible. The job is really easier than it sounds. There is no shortcut that will work; it has to be cleaned well. Before you re-assemble it make sure to use white lithium grease (high-temp grease) and grease all bearings. Here is a manual and parts list for one Kenmore dryer: (They are all about the same.) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20Manuals.zip
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...l%20Dryers.zip

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Dryer - heats & runs but stops mid-cycle [ 12 Answers ]

I have been trying to figure out what exactly is up with our Kenmore dryer. We bought it new in 1997 and it has run like a champ till now. It still heats up and the drum still tumbles. In the regular drying cycle - you set the timer for 60 minutes and about 15 minutes into the cycle, the dryer...

Ge dryer runs then stops and heat stays on? [ 1 Answers ]

Ge dryer run then the motor stops but heat element stays on its though the motor over heats and shuts of,if you open the door for a few minutes and start it back up it will finish drying

Kenmore dryer drum stops turning after it runs for a while [ 1 Answers ]

I have an older Kenmore 80 Series dryer. The drum stops turning after it runs for a while (5-10 minutes). It sounds like the motor is still trying to run before a safety switch shuts it off. After I let it rest for a while it starts running again. The belt is still in tact but looks old but has...

Furnace squeals but then stops [ 5 Answers ]

The past several months my forced air furnace would all of a sudden start making this high pitched chirping sound and then get even louder throughout the night. When we would shut it off it would squeal until it shut off completely making us think it was a belt. We had used wd-40 and it seems to...

View more questions Search