Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    To Gage Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2013, 08:41 PM
    18 month old girl starts crying for no reason
    My 18 month old girl starts crying when she doesn't get her way immediately. She if I don't pick her up. Also when I'm trying to put her to sleep. I think I can get through everything, but the putting her to sleep part is killing me. What can I do?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 14, 2013, 09:00 PM
    I watched a study of getting children to sleep, with video cameras set up in dark rooms with nothing but a night light.
    It was done very successfully by slowly and systematically no longer responding to crying at night. First come in, pick up the child for just a few seconds, and put her back down and let her cry. Three nights later, come in and stand there, say something soothing, but don't pick her up - and let her cry. Three nights later, don't come in at all.
    Do not break the steps at all. Do not peek in, or relent, or say anything from the doorway. Once you have moved on to the next step, stay resolved.

In the day time, practice more serenity and act as though you don't really hear her screaming, and keep busy doing something that will distract her attention, even though it has nothing to do with her, such as moving in and out of the room doing chores or cooking or laundry, maybe singing a song. Getting her way is largely because you are so quick to respond to her. It's going to take time and a lot of practice ignoring her tantrums.
    bellabella2314 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2013, 10:27 PM
    This happened with my little brother as a kid, when he was 19 months old he started the same strange behaviour.. We went to get him looked at . Turns out he had SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder) its pretty much like a form of autism . Even if your child does not have this, it would be a good idea to go and purchase some special toys... It worked for us . Hoped this helped:)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 15, 2013, 03:14 AM
    Many times children are just spoiled. They cry to get their way, when you give it, they learn that crying makes them win. So it is harder and harder to stop the behavior.

Children often cry and cry when put to sleep, one often has to just let them cry, and after a few days, they will learn, they are not winning

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crying without reason. [ 3 Answers ]

Crying without reason I am 18 years old and seem to cry constantly for no apparent reason, I can be happy one minute and in tears the ne. xt, nothing triggers it the tears just come from no where,my boyfriend just calls me am emotional wreck and tells me to get a grip, I don't know what's wromg...

Is there a reason I'm crying? [ 0 Answers ]

I'm not sure if age has anything to do with it, but I'm a 15 year old male. I don't know why I'm constantly crying, it seems I only do when I'm talking to my girlfriend. We have a healthy relationship, so I don't understand why I'd be crying all the time with her. I find that I'm crying at...

Why am I crying for no reason? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I've looked around for answers but they all seen to be on babies or puppies or something stupid like that, so, I'm not good at this type if thing so , here goes. I'm a 13 year old girl and for most of the day I seem to be fine but when it comes to night and I'm in bed I just burst out into...

Crying for no reason? [ 1 Answers ]

Why do I feel like throwing up or feeling like a little sick every time its almost Recess in my School? But when I go outside I feel like normal again. I get worried and sweaty then I finally break out and I just feel like crying. Nothing is wrong but I just wonder why I get this feelings. =(

Crying for no reason [ 2 Answers ]

I am 18 years old and generally quite a happy person, but recently I've been crying all the time and I don't understand why. The tiniest thing will set me off and I often feel quite down. My boyfriend gets annoyed sometimes because he can't understand why I would be upset about nothing, and I get...

View more questions Search