Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Doogle Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 08:15 AM
    VP accepted my offer, finance denied, what now?
    I don't make much at my hourly temp job that I have had for a year and a half. I went out of town to try out some new opportunities on an approved absence of leave and made an offer to return for increase in pay 2.5 weeks later. My bosss expressed the need for my services, and accepted the offer with hopes of a speedy return. I burned bridges and left behind once in a life time opportunities to come back and work my butt off to get things back in order, only to find that three weeks later the wage increase had not gone through finance and my pay was going to stay the same. Big letdown, considering the associate director I was in contact with got approval from the VP of the department and had accepted the wage increase offer I made. Nothing has changed, I am very let down and angry at the VP for promising something that got denied by finance, and for leaving a good situation out of state. Can I hold them to their promise legally? What can I do or say? This shouldn't happen; I am patient, professional, and hard working. Please help.

Mar 29, 2007, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogle
    I dont make much at my hourly temp job that i have had for a year and a half. I went out of town to try out some new opportunities on an approved absence of leave and made an offer to return for increase in pay 2.5 weeks later. My bosss expressed the need for my services, and accepted the offer with hopes of a speedy return. I burned bridges and left behind once in a life time opportunities to come back and work my butt off to get things back in order, only to find that three weeks later the wage increase had not gone through finance and my pay was going to stay the same. Big letdown, considering the associate director I was in contact with got approval from the VP of the department and had accepted the wage increase offer I made. Nothing has changed, I am very let down and angry at the VP for promising something that got denied by finance, and for leaving a good situation out of state. Can I hold them to their promise legally? What can I do or say? This shouldn't happen; I am patient, professional, and hard working. Please help.
    As an FYI, my goal for the leave of absence was to explore an opportunity offered by a good friend with his company, and to interview for other jobs with my new degree, with the plan of moving permanently. My boss was made aware of this and has known that I am looking for a perm position.

Mar 29, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Additionally, my goal was to also allow my job to assess the need for my services and make an offer for a permanent position. After 2 weeks my boss expressed that they were unable to open the position, and later that week I made an offer which both the VP and my boss accepted later.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Mar 29, 2007, 08:52 AM
    I would never work for less wage than I was hired on for or contracted to receive.

I only know what you've posted here... but if I were in your shoes, I would advise the boss, the VP, and the "finance department" that the wage you were hired on at is not being paid and that they need to correct this immediately. Give them until the next pay period to resolve it and come up with your back pay. If they choose not to pay you, I would walk out.

Unless you have an offer letter from them stating your wage, I doubt you have any financially viable legal recourse.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 29, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Do you have anything in writing? If you do, then you can force the issue, but it could result in losing the job down the road. If you can prove the offer then they have to honor it. Finance can't veto an offer made by an authorized person. That person should know to get Finance approval first if there is a question of approval.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2007, 09:10 AM
    I will agree, the VP should not have accepted and made a agreement if they were not the ones with authority. I am thinking that the VP is in on this, and is only using the other department as an excuse, and perhaps never really meant to give you the money, and was tricking you into coming back ( just my guess on that) Since the VP would know at the time he made a offer if he had the authority or not.

But yes you can speak to them and inform them that you had a valid agreement and that they are required to pay you that amount.
    They may of course fire you also.

Mar 29, 2007, 10:34 AM
    I have been lost on this issue for a week now and am wondering the same things that you have mentioned. My contract states one hourly wage, however they brought me back in with promise for a higher wage, which was not honored. There was offer and acceptance, but nothing in writing (I should have gotten a letter ahead of time in retrospect). Maybe they wanted me back in the office and in a hurry decided to make a promise they knew they couldn't keep, maybe not. The VP is taking blame and saying he feels bad, but when asked if I can be reimbursed for the 3 weeks I thought I was working for the higher pay he continues with "no, but we are trying to open a position for x amount (which is no more than before)". My plan is to look for a new job at a different company and take what I have learned as experience, unless you can help me come up with a better idea. Thank you for the support Phillycheesesteak, Scottgem, and Fr_tuck.

Mar 29, 2007, 10:40 AM
    As for speaking with them, I would have to go to the VP of HR and discuss the verbal agreement that I want him to honor, but I do not feel confident in doing that. It's a shame that even the VP of Operations doesn't even know that he needs approval from finance before he can make promises about a wage increase.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2007, 10:58 AM
    I can't speak for your company, but normally the VP of operations has full control over these issues, and finanace can not over rule him.

I have worked for dozens of corporations and have even been VP of Operations twice. That is why I felt something fishy was going on.

Mar 29, 2007, 11:11 AM
    FR_Chuck,
    He is VP of Operations for this specific department, not for the whole company, sorry I did not specify before. There are 2 VPs of the department I work under which is titled Operations.

Sorry for the confusion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Offer in Compromise [ 2 Answers ]

I owe back taxes for 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Totalling with penalities and interest $45,800.00. I am unable to pay any... and have not been able for sometime. I am now unemployed. Had bad motorcyle accident a year ago and tore up my leg. Didn't has hospitalization or...

Offer in comprise [ 1 Answers ]

Is there an formula to use when preparing a offer in compromise to be submitted to the state of Georgia? IRS?

Accepted offer now how do I back out gracefully [ 1 Answers ]

I accepted a new job offer. Now my current employer has offered a promotion and more money. How to gracefully back out of the new job?

1099G (Filled 1040 NR EZ) and accepted 5000 standard deduction last year [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I had filled in a 1040 NR EZ last year. And in Line 11 for itemized deduction I used the 5000$ standard deduction for student from india (Was on F1/H1B in 2005 and H1B in 2006). Now I got a 1099G for my state tax returns. Everyone is saying if you did itemize your last year federal returns then...

Apology not accepted [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have this guy that I recently met who became one of my good friends in a short period. He was nice and we got along together... I loved it. But then he told me he liked me and I didn't know how to handle that. You might say "oh, just tell him that you want him as a friend and blah, blah,...

View more questions Search