Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jpaul86 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2013, 12:44 AM
    Water seeping up through ground pipe next to main line
    Hello all. I have what looks like a 3/8 hollow copper rod coming up out of my basement floor next to my main water inlet pipe. It sticks up about 3 inches from the floor and is taped to my main line. The issue is that I all the sudden have water seeping up through this pipe for some reason. Ever heard of that? The pipe isn't connected to anything in the house and as far as I know isn't connected to anything under the basement floor. There's no water coming up through the floor where the pipe and the main line go through, it's just coming through this copper pipe. Any ideas are most appreciated.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 12, 2013, 08:12 AM
    Could this possibly be a drain line from something? Do you know where your AC drain line terminates? Could this be a line from the T&P valve from the water heater? Is there a water softener involved? Can you give me more details? Back to you, Tom

Oct 12, 2013, 12:40 PM
    Not a drain line. I'd be happy to send you a pic. The AC and the water softener drain into the floor on the opposite side of the room. This pipe just started seeping and hasn't done it in the previous 8 years we've lived here. Water is coming from the ground, up through this pipe. I have a black plastic main water line that comes up vertically from the basement floor. This pipe is taped to to it and runs through the floor next to it. House is 40 years old. I assumed it was a lightening ground rod. We haven't had much rain lately. My biggest concern is that my main line is leaking under the slab and is leaching up through this pipe. Thanks Tom.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 12, 2013, 04:34 PM
    Shut off the main water supply coming into the house and then see if the water stops flowing from the pipe. If, over time, water does stop flowing from the pipe then you can be pretty sure the main water supply has a leaker (*ouch*).

Mark

Oct 13, 2013, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Shut off the main water supply coming into the house and then see if the water stops flowing from the pipe. If, over time, water does stop flowing from the pipe then you can be pretty sure the main water supply has a leaker (*ouch*).

Mark
    Yep. I thought about giving that a try. Makes sense. Thanks Mark.

Oct 19, 2013, 09:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jpaul86 View Post
    Yep. I thought about giving that a try. Makes sense. Thanks Mark.
    Turns out the water stops coming up through the pipe when I shut it off at the meter. So, looks like I need a new supply. Got a quote for $1200 to run new pex through the wall. Looks like around $200 and some elbow grease to DIY vs. $1200. After having to cough up $4 grand for a new heat pump/AC 32 months ago, looks like I'm tackling this project myself.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 20, 2013, 06:29 AM
    Good update. Thanks! If you plan on doing this yourself, check with the local plumbing supply store... may have PEX tools you can borrow or rent instead of having to buy them. If you have an FW WEBB in your area, I'd check with them first.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Main supply valve has e connected small pipe tgat runs water on ground all the time? [ 2 Answers ]

Main supply valve overflow. Why would it flow all the time?

Ground Water Seeping Through Concrete Slab [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a bathtub on a concrete slab in the basement. In order to have access to the drain p-trap I had to create a hole in the slab. The open area is about 12" x 12" x (7" deep). The slab is 4" thick, however, the 5 walls of the boxed area of the recessed hole are concrete but only 1"...

How do install a main line cleanout in clay pipe? Pipe exposed, existing wye capped. [ 23 Answers ]

I would like to install a cleanout for my main drain line from my house to the city sewer system. There is no existing cleanout access for the main sewer drain line. House details: Huntington Beach, CA single-family tract house built 1960. Today I dug a hole to access the clay drain line. ...

There is water seeping around the well pipe [ 0 Answers ]

I found water around the well and the pump seems to run more than it should.

How do I ground wire for main service line to manufactured home [ 5 Answers ]

We are building a manufactured home one a permanent foundation. The main meter is on post by the road and is staying there. The connection is 3 pole, 4 wire 60 hertz, 200 amp to the home. I am trying to figure out if ground can run from two ground rods outside foundation to panel in house or...

View more questions Search