Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    need paid Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2013, 10:43 PM
    Must agent get paid
    Was hired as a agent for law firm did not get paid must they pay I emailed lawyer my cost would be $150.00 hr.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 12, 2013, 03:16 AM
    You were hired by a law firm ? So did you do the job, what type of payment agreement did you have ? More details is needed.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 12, 2013, 06:38 AM
    ... must they pay...
    That's your question? Maybe. Maybe not. As Fr_Chuck indicated, you have not given anywhere near enough information for us to give you a useful answer. And we will need to know what state or country you are in too.

Oct 12, 2013, 06:34 PM
    Yeah I was signed on As a agent after a year or more I wrote the lawyerby email stating I would be charging 150 dollars hour from any more time from now on . They kept having me Work expertise work and asking questions about the whole case because of my knowledge of a case USA Oregon
    Expert

Oct 12, 2013, 07:59 PM
    What kind of "agent" a agent is often a manager or someone who gets business for someone else. But you sayyou did expert work.

If this is the level you communicate with lawyer, I doubt you are owed any money.

1. what type of work did you actually perform.
    2. before email what type of payment were you getting,
    3. beyond your email, did they respond back agreeing,
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 12, 2013, 08:19 PM
    I'm confused.

So you worked for them for a year without pay, then sent an email stating you wanted $150/hr. Did they respond to that email and agree to your terms?

Oct 12, 2013, 08:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    what kind of "agent" a agent is often a manager or someone who gets business for someone else. But you sayyou did expert work.

if this is the level you communicate with lawyer, i doubt you are owed any money.

1. what type of work did you actually perform.
    2. before email what type of payment were you getting,
    3. beyond your email, did they respond back agreeing, ?
    I do not give out too much detail do To not knowing who's going to get The information
    1 I spent 20 years the running the district and 10 years being on the boardfor the district I was throughout the years ask to testify For for government agencies my knowledge Was ask for Many times for different agencies
    In government pertaining to the district -

2 no

3 yes yes they did knowledge the email And did not say no and we're the first ones to keep asking me for more information
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 12, 2013, 08:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by need paid View Post
    I do not give out too much detail do To not knowing who's going to get The information
    1 I spent 20 years the running the district and 10 years being on the boardfor the district I was throughout the years ask to testify For for government agencies my knowledge Was ask for Many times for different agencies

2 no

3 yes yes they did knowledge the email And did not say no and we're the first ones to keep asking me for more information
    What?

You worked as an expert for a lawyer? You don't even know the difference between "do" and "due", and your post makes no sense at all.

Write your post again so it makes sense. This is impossible to read.

Oct 12, 2013, 08:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    What?

You worked as an expert for a lawyer? You don't even know the difference between "do" and "due", and your post makes no sense at all.

Write your post again so it makes sense. This is impossible to read.
    Lawyer'''' the lawyer asked Me to be an agent for the district the lawyer is the one that wrote a document stating I was a agent' the lawyer later on filed the documents in the case that I was an expert I would be testifying as a expert I spent approximately 750 hours on this case sorry for the misspelling things but its all on My speech recognition
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 12, 2013, 10:55 PM
    Your speech recognition software - are you not able to proofread and correct it, and write coherent sentences?

So you consulted for over a year for free, and then emailed him that you wanted 150/hr from then on...

When did you work 750 hrs, before or after the email? That's $112,500!

What date did you email that you expected to be paid?
    How was it acknowledged?
    Why did you keep consulting without a contract?
    'Acknowledgement' isn't an agreement to pay.

Oct 13, 2013, 12:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Your speech recognition software - are you not able to proofread and correct it, and write coherent sentences?

So you consulted for over a year for free, and then emailed him that you wanted 150/hr from then on...

When did you work 750 hrs, before or after the email? That's $112,500!

What date did you email that you expected to be paid?
    How was it acknowledged?
    Why did you keep consulting without a contract?
    'Acknowledgement' isn't an agreement to pay.
    Gv
    Email them after about 270 hours. That leaves 480 hours.
    Knowledge by email just for your information there was 842 emails back and forth between me and the lawyers on this case they not counting all the phone calls all my trips over 2 hours one way to lawyers office. Not counting The phone calls. Plus The 25000 + copies I paid for
    I did quit working as a designated agent - so when you're a designated agent are you required to Be paid under the labor laws ?
    There was other things done my email that I was asked to pertaining to being a designated agent
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 13, 2013, 12:23 AM
    It is so very hard to help you as your responses have little punctuation. A simple comma can change the entire meaning of the sentence.

I understand you are using word recognition. It might behoove you to start using the keyboard, or is english not your first language?

By saying designated agent, does that mean that you are an expert witness? If so, your contract should have laid out the costs prior to even starting to do this.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 13, 2013, 12:40 AM
    Labor laws don't apply to contract work. You are a contractor. You will have to sue in civil court if you don't get paid.
    Why you put in all this time and expense without an agreement in writing boggles the mind.
    It's not going to be easy to get paid after all that free work, and now you say that you told them you wanted 150/hr about 480 hours ago. That's so many hours that you have pretty much lost a ton of clout by not stopping work and demanding to be paid.
    And you just are not answering our questions very well at all. I too can't figure out if this is a language barrier, or what.
    Expert

Oct 13, 2013, 02:30 AM
    No, there is no requirement except contact law, that requires you to be paid. You were not an employee so labor laws do not apply.

Again, your exact work is very cloudy, as to if this was free work at first, or if you were a witness to something, or if you were an expert of some type.

But the only reason you are to be paid, is normallya written contract, that both you and them sign.

Emails, that they confirm, and agree to, but if you merely send them an email, and they do not state they agree, really is not binding
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 13, 2013, 06:24 AM
    What OP means by "agent" could be one of several things:

• A "designated agent" is a person named on official filings of a corporation, to be the person served with process, etc.
    • An expert witness is someone who is an expert in a particular field and therefor can testify to his or her opinion regarding that subject.

From what OP says, the former would be very unlikely.

If I were hiring an expert witness, I would be very hesitant to hire someone with atrocious grammar, and inability to communicate, such as that of the OP. Such a person would not make a very convincing witness.

Quote Originally Posted by need paid
    Apparently OP claims to have worked for many years for some governmental agency ("the district") and is supposedly an expert witness regarding the inner workings of that governmenal agency (and other such agencies). Again, OP's communication skills make me doubt that a law firm would really agree to pay $150/ hour for such "expertise". And, as an aside, if this is typical of the skill level possessed by government officials, no wonder our country is in such a mess.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How is overtime paid out if your off sick in an hourly paid positionk [ 1 Answers ]

I have a situation where the weekly work week is 40 hours. Overtime was worked (8 hours) but the company said where she was off sick the 8 hours OT was included in the week and would only receive 4 hours overtime - is the right?

How to get clearing and forwarding agent licence in kenya? I wanted to be an agent. [ 0 Answers ]

How to get clearing and forwarding agent licence in kenya? I wanted to be an agent.

Wrongfully evicted in New Hampshire for money supposedly not paid but has been paid [ 3 Answers ]

Owner wants me evicted for not paying 452.00 but I paid it, sent sheriff to apartment with a letter telling me to go to court, I talked to manager of apartments told them that I already paid the money she said I didn't have to go to court. Now yesterday in the mail I get a letter saying that...

I paid taxes for 2007, now have amended refund, what about money I paid [ 1 Answers ]

I paid $4000 with taxes for 2007, now have amended refund of $5300. Should I received back money with an original return I paid?

View more questions Search