Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zackowitz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2013, 02:23 PM
    Energy and area of water balloon' splatter?
    How does the kinetic energy a water balloon endures when falling relate to the splatter it creates when hitting the floor?

Extra points if you can lead me to an article or paper.
    Celine91 Posts: 51, Reputation: 9

Oct 23, 2013, 05:29 AM
    I would try to apply first the principle of conservation of energy from the point it falls from, until it hits the ground (IMMEDIATELY AFTER).

m: mass of water balloon
    V: speed with which it hits the ground
    h: height from which balloon falls

m*g*h = 0.5*m*V^2
    so, V = square root of (2*g*h)... speed of the water drops that splash (immediately after hitting), and the radius of the splattering must be in proportion. So we can say that the splattering radius is roughly proportional to the square root of h (height of release from ground)

This makes, Radius of splattering (ROUGHLY) = 4.43 * sq. root of (h)

for e.g: if you drop it from 4 m height the splattering will be twice as much as when you drop it from 1 m height (roughly speaking again).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

90's water balloon toy [ 6 Answers ]

I use to have a water balloon toy. It was a plastic ball with holes in it... you placed a water balloon in the center and shut the plastic ball... you set the timer on the ball and tossed it back and forth... when the timer went off the balloon would pop and get you all wet! I can not for the life...

Grease splatter in eye [ 4 Answers ]

I was cooking bacon tonight and some grease splattered up and into my eye. It stung a little at first but I didn't think anything of it until I took a shower later and my eye started to burn again. The eye is a little blood shot but I can't see that there is any real damage. It feels like the itchy...

Water balloon padle game [ 0 Answers ]

We had a water balloon game years ago that you each had a paddle that had rough edges on the outside, so when you didn't hit it just right in the middle, the balloon would pop all over you. Does anyone know the name and can I still find one.

Water balloon volleyball [ 0 Answers ]

Who invented the game water balloon volleyball

How high above the window was the water balloon released? [ 2 Answers ]

You notice a water balloon fall past your window. You estimate that it took the balloon about t seconds to fall the length of the window and that the window is about y metres high. Suppose the balloon started from rest. Approx. how high abovethe top of the window was it released? Please...

View more questions Search