Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tnrandy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 07:26 AM
    B&S 18.5HP Intek, oil/gas coming from fuel pump
    Gas comes out of the screen on my fuel pump and the engine smokes like it's on FIRE when its under a heavy load. I replaced the fuel pump but this did not help. Someone suggested the crankcase vent might be stopped up, but I can't find a vent anywhere.

The engine starts fine and idles without any problem, but when I engage the blades oil starts running out of the fuel pump and the smoke starts boiling.

Please HELP!! :confused: :confused: :eek:
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Mar 29, 2007, 08:23 PM
    Your carb is leaking fuel into the crankcase, it is causing an overfill scenario and because the fuel pump works on crankcase pressure it is coming through there.

The engine is getting HOT because the oil is diluted with gas.

Don

Mar 30, 2007, 05:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by newaukumdon
    Your carb is leaking fuel into the crankcase, it is causing an overfill scenario and because the fuel pump works on crankcase pressure it is coming through there.

The engine is getting HOT because the oil is diluted with gas.

Don
    Don,
    When I pull the dipstick, the oil is still clean and does not appear to have gas mixed with it. Someone said it might be a head gasket, could that cause similar problems?
    Thanks
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Mar 30, 2007, 06:33 AM
    When you loose crankcase vacum oil will be pushed out any avenue. This can be caused by a loose dip stick, bad breather valve or least likely blown head gasket.

The extreme case you are describing is not normal for the crankcase losing vacum.

It is a rare scenario and I would triple check the oil and change it.

Don
    hwy61 Posts: 19, Reputation: 5

Apr 2, 2007, 10:55 PM
    I'm not really familiar with this engine but it seems like you still have a fuel pump problem. Oil and gas should not be running out of it. It will be on fire if this keeps up. Could the diaphram have a hole in it allowing it to suck oil into the gas. If so you should begine to run low on oil. Where is this smoke coming from, the exhaust or oil running down the block onto the exhaust manifold? Worn rings will allow blowby and that increases as engine speed increases. That puts pressure inside the block as well as allowing oil to seep past the rings and into the compression chamber where it will be burned along with the fuel/air and pass out the exhaust. More info please.

Apr 11, 2007, 09:25 AM
    Turned out to be a blown headgasket. I was talking to a local repair shop and he said this is happening more and more on these engines..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fuel pump [ 1 Answers ]

Do my 95 g20 van have a fuel pump and if so where is it located

B&S 18HP INTEK Valves/Compression Release [ 1 Answers ]

Am having the same trouble as a lot of others with my 18 hp B&S Intek rider. The motor turns over 1 revolution and stops.Installed new battery and have reset the valve clearance to (.004 intake, 006 exhaust)I remember something about a gummed-up compression release causing this problem ....

Upgrading Digital Thermostat w/ Heat Pump & Gas Aux [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am looking for a recommendation for a new thermostat. I currently have an electric heat pump with gas backup and two-stage blower. The current thermostat is a very basic digital model ( White-Rodgers ) and is working properly, as far as I can tell. It works like this: Heating Mode:...

Problems with 16.5hp B&S Motor [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 16.5 HP B&S motor, OHV. I have replaced the ignition switch, the battery, the solenoid and the fuel soleninoid. The motor ran when shooting starting fluid in it and dies right down. I pulled the main carb jet out and cleaned it, it appeared gummed up. The mower had been running fine...

Yellow Tygon Oil and Fuel Tubing [ 1 Answers ]

I recommend use of yellow Tygon Oil and Fuel line, instead of vinyl tubing, on your 2-cycle applications. It's a superior product and will stay flexible for years. You can obtain it from the following very nice people: http://www.pspmfg.com/FuelLine.html You will be glad you tried it and you will...

View more questions Search