Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notcoolenough Posts: 95, Reputation: 7

Oct 9, 2013, 05:54 PM
    Encouraging Words
    I was hospitalized at the beginning of July for suicidal thoughts. While in the hospital I was replaced by my boss/the owner of the business. She rehired me even though other employees now felt uncomfortable about me working there and were worried I would freak out and hurt them. She required a medical release form and to talk to my doctor or therapist. She also required that I now meet with her weekly to go over my work. ANYWAY after I got rehired, I learned I would only be on-call. She gave me two days to work that month and on the way to the first day, I drove back to my house and quit. I hated my boss with a passion even before this whole thing and having to go to work with her was a big reason I wound up in the hospital. So I figured, hey, I am sure I will find another job.

NOPE. It is now October. I am now homeless. I had to give up my car. I had to give up my cat. And I can no longer count how many places I have applied to. When I was a young adult, it was simple: you filled out a PAPER application, called every so often to ask about said application, and usually you got the job. These days everything is on the internet and when you call, you are told not to ever call and that if they want you they will call you. I still call just in case but this is what I am almost always told.

I just don't get it. My experience is with pets but I also have experience as a key holder in the retail field and experience at dunkin donuts in the food field. It is getting harder and harder, not just emotionally, but physically in that I do not have a home. Things like showering, cleaning clothes, and transportation are not easy to come by for me at all. I do not have any family out here and the 2 friends I do have are unable to help me. I cry myself to sleep every night and I want to give up so bad. It is so frustrating to know that these places are hiring, they just choose not to pick you.

I collect disability but every single last penny goes to my bills and paying off my debt

Can anybody relate to this? Does anyone have any advise? Any words of wisdom? Anything at all? I just don't want to do this anymore.

Other things to note before you reply: I was denied unemployment and according to legalhelp.com, my employer broke no laws.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 9, 2013, 06:03 PM
    Your employer hired you back even after you were hospitalized. Maybe she wasn't as mean as you say? You quit, so no, she did nothing wrong.

Right now the economy is tough. People with medical degrees are working at McDonalds because they can't find jobs anywhere else. It's a tough market right now. Unless you're the best of the best, and even then, you'll have a hard time finding work.

How are you accessing the internet if you're homeless? I know there are places where you can get online, but if you're looking for work and most of it's online, and you can't access the internet regularly, it's going to be tough. They'll email, and if you can't answer right away, they'll call the next person on the list.

What sort of places are you applying to? Do you have a college degree? How old are you?

It's a tough market right now. I wish I could tell you it's all going to be okay, but from the sounds of it, your skills are that of any teen walking in off the street. Literally hundreds of people apply for every job you're applying for. They pick the best of the best, because they can. So what makes you stand out? What can you do to make yourself stand out?

How's your resume?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tell the words [ 2 Answers ]

A very very small and sharp straw like or needle like piece of wood pierced my hand, when I was doing some woodwork back home, and when I had to tell the medico on phone, he asked what happened, and I was clueless as I did not nor I do have the proper word for that thing. What is the word?

Encouraging news from Iraq . [ 1 Answers ]

Something to be thankful for on Thanksgiving. See this report by Michael Yon Michael Yon : Online Magazine » Blog Archive » Come Home http://www.michaelyon-online.com/media/images/disp/ComeHome/Photo-4.jpg Today, Muslims mostly filled the front pews of St. John’s. Muslims who want their...

More encouraging news from Iraq [ 25 Answers ]

Something to be thankful for on Thanksgiving. See this report by Michael Yon Michael Yon : Online Magazine » Blog Archive » Come Home http://www.michaelyon-online.com/media/images/disp/ComeHome/Photo-4.jpg Today, Muslims mostly filled the front pews of St. John’s. Muslims who want their...

I find this encouraging... [ 3 Answers ]

Young Muslims begin dangerous fight for the right to abandon faith - Times Online "Young Muslims begin dangerous fight for the right to abandon faith." “Sharia schools say that they will kill the ones who leave Islam. In the West people get threatened, thrown out of their family, beaten up,”...

Us Universities which are encouraging 15 year education [ 1 Answers ]

Hello every one this is pavan here... I have completed my graduation from osmania university now that I want to do my masters from us.. so friends can you just suggest the list of universities which requires only 15 year education...

View more questions Search