Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imaginetht Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2013, 12:50 PM
    Can a business checking account for a LLC be garnished or frozen?
    I own an LLC. A collector for the Department of Education is threatening to sue me and garnish my bank accounts for payment.

Isn't that one of the purposes of an LLC? The inability to attach personal assets to business assets?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 9, 2013, 03:50 PM
    Yes and no. is the debt purely personal ?

If so, if the LLC checking is done properly, then it should be protected

BUT>>>
    Do you have personal funds that go directly into it ?
    Do you use it as a personal checking account paying for personal items ?

Often we set up the paper work but fail to keep the money separate in day to day activities.

But if all things correct, no they can not get the money

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my checking account be frozen or garnished? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a senior citizen on SS. My only income & assets are my SS check which is directly deposited into my checking account. I have received a summons in the mail from a collection agent. How can I prevent my checking account from being frozen. I am handicapped & permanently homebound due to illness...

Can a checking account be garnished if they don't know the account number? [ 3 Answers ]

When a court ordered judgment is entered against you, can it randomly be sent to any bank to determine if you have an account there, or do they have to know what your checking account number is in order to send the garnishment?

Creditor garnished my checking account [ 1 Answers ]

I have a debts I've been paying my creditors through careone Well I found out yesterday one of them got a judgement to take my money out of my checking account. I have my receipts I've been paying them.They realize they made a mistake I want to know how long does it take for them to put my money...

Garnished checking account [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, What recourses or defenses do I haveagoinst a collection agency that received a judegment enabling them to garnish my account for over 2 thousan$ double the amount they say is owed to them, plus I have to pay $125.00 check garnishment fee. I HAVE 0 BALANCE IN MY ACCOUNT at this moment Thanks...

View more questions Search