Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Oct 8, 2013, 07:04 AM
    Stock Question
    Back on 3/01/2001 I took control of some stock. Where can I find out the
    cost basis value of that stock then? The Stock is AMX, it has split several
    times so what does it do to the original cost basis?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 8, 2013, 08:38 AM
    You can get historical stock prices from yahoo.com:

AMX Historical Prices | America Movil, S.A.B. de C.V. A Stock - Yahoo! Finance

From this you can use the average of the high and low prices for March 1, 2001 to get a cost basis of $17.45/share. Since then the stock has split, so you now have many more shares each with a cost basis reduced by the ratio of stock splits. The Yahoo! Site indicates that today's equivalent cost per share for March 1, 2011 after the splits is $2.42/share.

However, please explain what you mean when you say you "took control" of the stock on March 1, 2001. Did you purchase the stock that day? Did you receive it as a gift that day? Or could it be that you had previously owned Telmex stock and received the AMX stock when it spun out in 2001? The answer to your cost basis question depends very much on answering these questions. If you received these as part of the spin off your cost basis depends on the cost basis you had in your Telmex stock pre-spin off. The method for calculating how to allocate that original cost basis between AMX and Telmex post-spin off is described in this PDF document:

http://www.americamovil.com/amx/en/c....pdf?p=29&s=53

Oct 8, 2013, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    You can get historical stock prices from yahoo.com:

AMX Historical Prices | America Movil, S.A.B. de C.V. A Stock - Yahoo! Finance

From this you can use the average of the high and low prices for March 1, 2001 to get a cost basis of $17.45/share. Since then the stock has split, so you now have many more shares each with a cost basis reduced by the ratio of stock splits. The yahoo! site indicates that today's equivalent cost per share for March 1, 2011 after the splits is $2.42/share.

However, please explain what you mean when you say you "took control" of the stock on March 1, 2001. Did you purchase the stock that day? Did you receive it as a gift that day? Or could it be that you had previously owned Telmex stock and received the AMX stock when it spun out in 2001? The answer to your cost basis question depends very much on answering these questions. If you received these as part of the spin off your cost basis depends on the cost basis you had in your Telmex stock pre-spin off. The method for calculating how to allocate that original cost basis between AMX and Telmex post-spin off is described in this PDF document:

http://www.americamovil.com/amx/en/c....pdf?p=29&s=53
    I inherited the stock on that day. Yes, there have been a lot of twists and turns with that stock. Like you say the cost basis on that day was $17.45 and today it is at $2.42

Looking at Scottrade where I have it, they are showing a CB of $1.530 which is a difference of .89 cents X 4000 will cost me $3,560, I need to find out why the diff.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 8, 2013, 12:03 PM
    Please clarify: did you receive the stock shares on March 1. 2001, or is that the date of death of the person you inherited it from? Your cost basis should be based on the fair market value as of the date of death, which is earlier than the date it was credited to your account. So - do you know what the date of death was?

As for the data that Scottrade has - the only cost basis that they can be sure of are for trades you executed through them. That's not what happened here, so at some point over the past 12 years someone (you? Or a financia advisor at Scott Trade?) must have entered a value for the cost basis of this stock in your account data. I suggest you call their customer service to ask how that figure was arrived at. You can also try going into your account and changing it yourself.

By the way, according to this site: America Movil SAB de CV - AMX - Get Stock Split History your AMX stock has split 6:1 since March 2001. So if the decedant's date of death was March 1 2001, your cost basis would be $17.45/6 = $2.908/share. The lower figure from the Yahoo! Site is because they assume reinvested dividends.

Oct 8, 2013, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Please clarify: did you receive the stock shares on March 1. 2001, or is that the date of death of the person you inherited it from? Your cost basis should be based on the fair market value as of the date of death, which is earlier than the date it was credited to your account. So - do you know what the date of death was?

As for the data that Scottrade has - the only cost basis that they can be sure of are for trades you executed through them. That's not what happened here, so at some point over the past 12 years someone (you? or a financia advisor at Scott Trade?) must have entered a value for the cost basis of this stock in your account data. I suggest you call their customer service to ask how that figure was arrived at. You can also try going into your account and changing it yourself.

By the way, according to this site: America Movil SAB de CV - AMX - Get Stock Split History your AMX stock has split 6:1 since March 2001. So if the decedant's date of death was March 1 2001, your cost basis would be $17.45/6 = $2.908/share. The lower figure from the yahoo! site is because they assume reinvested dividends.
    Thanks for hanging with me on this, I need to find the original C/B I was given by the
    Lawyer who handled the Estate. I knew nothing back then and I know very little more
    today. Will get back soon. One additional point, I have not (until this year) done anything with AMX.

Update Father passed on Sept. 9,1997 on Jan. 24, 2001 I received 931 Shares of Telefonos de Mexico valued
    at $46,782.75 with a $50.25 per share price. Using your split of 6, I come up with 50.25/6 for $8.375 as a rough
    figure for today's C/B am I right or all wet?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ask stock question [ 2 Answers ]

My mother in law had Eaton Stock. It was bought out. She said that Cooper Tires bought them. Not exactly sure. Anyway, she received a 1099 for stock that she never received a dividend (it has always rolled over) and has not sold any. The explanation that she was given by an accountant was that...

Stock question? [ 3 Answers ]

I have 1000 shares of a stock they now tell me that the stock split back wards. And that I no longer have 1000 shares! Is this legal I have lost my faith in the stock market.

I have a question about stock shares. [ 1 Answers ]

I recently found out that I had unclaimed property being held by the Dept. Of Treasury. I was informed that the property was for shares of Walmart Stock I forgot I had, I believe since the late 80's. I was told that I had 23 shares of walmart stock, but was not told the monetary value of it. How...

View more questions Search