Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ellasmom88 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2013, 04:53 PM
    Have adoption laws in Tennessee changed since 1992?
    I was adopted in 1992 by my dad and I am trying to find my bio dad... but I was told that my mom had to run an add the news paper for a length of time before he could adopt me... Is this true if so did they have to put his name?? If so maybe I can find him... his name I don't believe was on the birth certificate.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 7, 2013, 06:00 PM
    It depends on how they notified him of the intent to adopt. They may have just called him and said "hey, can her step-dad adopt her?"

Are you unable to ask your mother for information?

Oct 7, 2013, 06:04 PM
    She says she doesn't remember his name.knows his first but not last.
    Expert

Oct 7, 2013, 09:43 PM
    She should have received adoption paperwork from the courts that named all parties involved. In most places you do not have the right to request that paperwork, but SHE does. She should be able to make a request through the courts in the county the adoption took place in.

A caveat to this: I placed my daughter for adoption in 1992. I have copies of the court paperwork regarding the relinquishment, but I do NOT have copies of the adoption paperwork---because it was legally none of my business at that point. However, that was a full adoption, not a step parent adoption. Because your mother retained her parental rights through both processes, she should be able to request copies of the paperwork from the courts.

Is it possible that your mother is just stonewalling your search for some reason?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 8, 2013, 05:06 AM
    Adoption laws change all the time, the adoption is not done in the news paper, but legal notification is. It is also common for the women not to know the mans real name or full name, so often only the child's name is listed and that the father needs to come forward.

So it is very possible that his name was not in the paper.
    But you can go to the newspaper (after you are 18) and do a search of old papers and find the information. Also your mother has received a full document of the adoption if she wants to share it with you.

It is likely she really does not know his name, and/or she is trying to protect you from a man who was very bad at the time

Oct 8, 2013, 05:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    She should have received adoption paperwork from the courts that named all parties involved. In most places you do not have the right to request that paperwork, but SHE does. She should be able to make a request through the courts in the county the adoption took place in.

A caveat to this: I placed my daughter for adoption in 1992. I have copies of the court paperwork regarding the relinquishment, but I do NOT have copies of the adoption paperwork---because it was legally none of my business at that point. However, that was a full adoption, not a step parent adoption. Because your mother retained her parental rights through both processes, she should be able to request copies of the paperwork from the courts.

Is it possible that your mother is just stonewalling your search for some reason?
    yeah she could be but I am 25!! And I just want to know... you know... its a peace of me that I don't know.

Oct 8, 2013, 06:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Adoption laws change all the time, the adoption is not done in the news paper, but legal notification is. It is also common for the women not to know the mans real name or full name, so often only the childs name is listed and that the father needs to come forward.

So it is very possible that his name was not in the paper.
    But you can go to the newspaper (after you are 18) and do a search of old papers and find the information. also your mother has recieved a full document of the adoption if she wants to share it with you.

it is likely she really does not know his name, and/or she is trying to protect you from a man who was very bad at the time
    True but I am 25 and people do change I just want to know don't even want to meet him just to know. For me.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 8, 2013, 06:49 AM
    If, in fact, your bio dad's whereabouts were unknown at the time your dad was petitioning to adopt, they might have posted an ad somewhere in an attempt to notify him. That ad would contain info they knew about him. So if you know the paper where the ad was run, you may be able to get a copy of it.
    Expert

Oct 8, 2013, 06:53 AM
    Unfortunately, you have limited options for searching.

You can go on reunion websites to see if he is also looking for you.

You can get people who knew your mother at the time to give you the information.

You can hire a licensed private investigator.

Adoption privacy laws protect the identities of birth parents, sometimes with very good reason. Your best bet, really, is to try to get your mother to remember or to have her get the adoption paperwork.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Owner financing laws in Tennessee [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are doing owner financing with our house. The house is in our name. The person that we are buying the house from is saying that we owe her 2 months of house notes and she is trying to take the house from us. We paid with cash and received no receipts.

Tennessee tax laws for renters [ 3 Answers ]

I rent a house in Tennessee. Are there any tax laws or credits I can claim?

Adoption laws Ohio father blocking adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I have a now seven year old boy. His father lives in Ohio and has been ordered to pay child support which he has done for the past three years almost consistently. He has no contact with his child and I can count on my hands the number of times he has seen him while we too lived in Ohio. He has had...

Help with middle Tennessee laws on being a tenant on a lease [ 9 Answers ]

My ex girlfriend told me I could take over the lease and she would sign off all of a sudden she changes her mind after I have put 1500 into this house and is telling me I have 5 days to move because she is moving back in if I am not mistaken she cannot do that I have to have an eviction from my...

Needing information on Tennessee laws for evictions [ 3 Answers ]

My mom has a place and the last time rent was paid was on Jan. 21, 2009; and they paid the rent up from being a few months behind on the payments. She has found someone to buy the place and the renters refuse to leave with out some type of eviction notice. There have been many verbal notices and...

View more questions Search