Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dappywipul Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2013, 12:24 PM
    How can you determine the efficiency of a hand brake on a car?
    The braking efficiency reported by the rolling road (during MOT test) appears to depend on how hard you can pull on the handbrake. But this is not measured by the rolling road. To me this makes any percentage value given as a pass or fail nonsense.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 7, 2013, 01:43 PM
    It is assumed that the measurement is made with the parking brake fully engaged - i.e. the handle pulled up as far as it will go. If you fail to engage the brake fully you will get a poor result. Remember the objective is to see whether the brake provides adequate stopping power - if you fail it's likely due to the brake cable mechanism being out of adjustment, uneven application of the brakes on the rear wheels, or brake pads are worn.

Oct 7, 2013, 02:42 PM
    Thank you for your answers. The point I am trying to make here is that the input braking force provided by the hand brake will vary depending on the tester. Yet the pass or fail figure of 16% (UK) is given as a definite. It would be a much safer and fairer test if a known and fairly consistent device applies the force to the hand brake. Then a much more accurate braking efficiency could be worked out.

If a 6.6” beefy tester just back from his gym workout can easily put on enough braking force to reach the 16% (say 5 clicks) to pass the test, but my petite wife can only manage 2 clicks when she parks on a 1 in 6 hill. Not to labour the point here, but there is no consistency in the applied force, yet we are talking about one the most crucial components of a car. The same argument can be made about service brake (foot brake) also
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 7, 2013, 05:56 PM
    I guess the point is that if your wife can only manage 2 clicks in an emergency then that is what they should test to. If she needs it it an emergency she won't be able to magically transport a stronger dude into the car to pull it for her.

Oct 8, 2013, 12:29 PM
    Yes - they should test to see if the force provided by the weakest drivers
    (measure and define this force) applied to the hand brake will supply the required braking force at the wheels. This would allow a meaningful efficiency figure to be produced.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to determine the car speed in accidents [ 2 Answers ]

A person weighing 60 Kg was thrown 12.5 m when hit by a car, what is the car speed at the time of collusion?

Hand Wash Detergent Rec's for High Efficiency (HE) Front loader [ 0 Answers ]

I am using an HE detergent for regular wash cycles but only have "regular" hand wash detergent on hand for the hand wash cycle. I have not seen HE hand wash detergent out there, does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

Car will not go into gear, have replace the brake switch and have the same problem [ 3 Answers ]

Have replaced the brake switch and have the same problem

Buying a second hand car [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter is buying a second car from a private seller, I would like to know if there is any way to find out if money is still owed on the car by the owner before she buys it?:

1999 Lincoln Town Car Brake Rotors [ 1 Answers ]

I know that the calipers have to be removed to pull the front rotors. Does the mounting bracket for the calipers also have to be removed?

View more questions Search