Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ruthnaranjo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2013, 08:47 AM
    Opt F1 W-9, W-8ben,W4?
    I am an International Student with a F1 visa, doing my OPT.
    I've been living in the U.S for 3 years.

I've been doing some freelance work for a radio station as a part of my OPT, and now they ask me to fill out a W-9 tax form. However the document says I should not use this form if I am a Foreign person, which I am.

Should I fill out a W-8ben form instead? A W4? I am so confused, and the International Student office of my university can't help me (they say they don't offer tax advice for students). I ask the responsible of the payroll department in the radio station and she told me she thinks I can fill out the W9 "since I have an American Bank account and a SSN" which doesn't sound a very convincing argument to me, and I don't want to compromise my status by sending the wrong document.

I really appreciate your help,

Thanks a lot:

Ruth.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Oct 7, 2013, 09:27 AM
    As a non-resident alien you would fill out form W8-BEN instead of W9.
    Once you become a resident alien (after 5 years in the US on F1), the W9 would apply to you as well.

Form W4 is for withholdings, but since you are freelancing (self-employed), that would not apply here. Make sure you pay quarterly estimated taxes as a self-employed individual.
    ruthnaranjo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2013, 09:46 AM
    Thank you very much for your rapid response, this website is wonderful.

I just have one more question. When filling the W-8BEN, should I write my address back in Spain as a Permanent Address or should I list my U.S. address instead, since I've been living here for 3 years?

I do pay taxes in Spain but only for freelance jobs for Spanish companies, and I also filled taxes the last two years in the U.S as a student working on-campus.

I really appreciate your help and advice.

Best,

Ruth.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 7, 2013, 10:07 AM
    List your U.S. Address.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H4 and W-8BEN [ 0 Answers ]

Can a person with H4 status in the US periodically leave the US and perform contract work outside the US for a US company. If this is allowed, I understand one has to provide the payer with a W-8BEN. However it says on the W-8BEN: Do not use this form if you are "A U.S. citizen or other...

W-8ben on opt [ 3 Answers ]

Folks - I am from Pakistan and came to US on F1. I am on my OPT in US and doing a job with a local company here - I filed my taxation for 2010 earlier this year. In August 2011 I did some offshore work for a local business here - and they want me to file them W-8BEN form. 1- Is this a...

W-8ben [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am with H1B from 11-nov-2008 to till now. I am working with same company from that Period, I have received W-8BEN from IRS. Could you please suggest me what I have to do? Do I need to complete this form and Sent to IRS?

W-9 or w-8ben [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was on f-1 Visa from jan 2005 and visa status got changed to h-1b from oct 2007, I recently received a w-8ben form from my bank.which form should I fill, w-8ben or w-9 and send it to the bank?

View more questions Search