Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    young_soulja Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2013, 12:02 PM
    Life insurance question... I need help
    So my grandma past away in May and left me in her life insurance will. My family is really money hungry and I have a feeling she will try and take my portion of the money. She contacted me for my SSN. My Aunt says she is the sole beneficiary and is provisioning over my money and the only way to disburse my share of the money she has in the account to me she will need my ssn. She said she was the sole beneficiary and is provisioning over my money... is there such thing? Or is she trying to trick me? I told her I wouldn't have a problem going in person to the insurance company but she says there's no where to go and the money has been released to her but she has to account for any and all disbursements and without me giving my ssn I won't be able to receive my share. I found it strange how I wasn't contacted by the insurance company themselves? Help!!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 6, 2013, 12:10 PM
    Your grandmother named you as the only beneficiary of an insurance policy? Is your aunt the executor of the estate?

As an heir/beneficiary, you have every right to demand copies of all the paperwork concerning what you are to receive and from where.

Have you talked with a lawyer yet?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 6, 2013, 12:19 PM
    This doesn't make sense. There is no such thing as a "life insurance will". If a person is listed as beneficiary of a life insurance policy, then the insurance company will pay out the benefit directly. If a person is mentioned in a will, then the executor of that will distributes the assets of the deceased which would not include the proceeds of a life insurance policy.

Its possible that there was something left to you in the will which is what the aunt is referring to and she could need your SSN for tax reporting purposes.

But you clearly don't understand what is going on with your grandmother's estate and/or insurance. If your aunt was the beneficiary of the life insurance then she gets the money, no one else.

Oct 6, 2013, 12:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Your grandmother named you as the only beneficiary of an insurance policy? Is your aunt the executor of the estate?

As an heir/beneficiary, you have every right to demand copies of all the paperwork concerning what you are to receive and from where.

Have you talked with a lawyer yet?
    I know I was left on the will but not sure the degree which I stand. My aunt claims to be the sole beneficiary and is provisioning over my money . She was her daughter so I think she might be the executor because she was the only one taking care of her when she was sick so I believe she is. I am just really skeptical about this because the insurance company never reached out to me or nothing. She said she will issue me the money that was set aside for me only once I give her my ssn but how about if she tries to take some money out of my share and only give me what she believes I should get or doesn't give me anything at all and takes all the money? Wouldn't I need to sign some documents before I can receive my share? She says the money has been released to her but she has to account for any and all disbursements. But if the money has been released to her why does she need my ssn? Does this usually happen? Could she just issue me money with out my signature on the documentation or do you think she will forge it once she gets my ssn? I haven't received any documents relating this matter at all. I don't even know the insurance company my grandmother used or pretty much any information about it at all. No I don't have a lawyer.

Oct 6, 2013, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    This doesn't make sense. There is no such thing as a "life insurance will". If a person is listed as beneficiary of a life insurance policy, then the insurance company will pay out the benefit directly. If a person is mentioned in a will, then the executor of that will distributes the assets of the deceased which would not include the proceeds of a life insurance policy.

Its possible that there was something left to you in the will which is what the aunt is referring to and she could need your SSN for tax reporting purposes.

But you clearly don't understand what is going on with your grandmother's estate and/or insurance. If your aunt was the beneficiary of the life insurance then she gets the money, no one else.
    My mistake about the confusing wording above. I have never inherited anything before, not too familiar with the terms. Since I am the grandchild I think I might have been mentioned in the will and she might be the main beneficiary. In that case do you think it would be safe to give my aunt my ssn? Would she be able to issue a disbursement even though I have not signed anything? I haven't received any documents or calls directly from the insurance company at all. My aunt says she needs

My address
    SSN
    And Year of birth

Does any of this sound familiar to tell what she needs this information for?

How could she withdraw my portion to issue it without my signature unless its forged?

Do insurance company usually put the main beneficiary in charge to contact the other people mention in the will? Is it safe to give my aunt my ssn?

Oct 6, 2013, 01:56 PM
    You still aren't getting this.

A life insurance policy is NOT part of the person's estate. If she is the sole beneficiary then she alone is entitled to the proceeds of the policy. If you were listed as a partial beneficiary, then the insurance company would have contacted you directly.

If you are listed as an heir in the will, then you are entitled to ask to see a copy of the will or be notified of the probate process. The probate court may be able to confirm she needs that info to process the estate. I can understand her not knowing your SSN but shouldn't she know your address and age?

Oct 7, 2013, 01:16 PM
    You still aren't getting this.

A life insurance policy is NOT part of the person's estate. If she is the sole beneficiary then she alone is entitled to the proceeds of the policy. If you were listed as a partial beneficiary, then the insurance company would have contacted you directly.

If you are listed as an heir in the will, then you are entitled to ask to see a copy of the will or be notified of the probate process. the probate court may be able to confirm she needs that info to process the estate. I can understand her not knowing your SSN but shouldn't she know your address and age?
    So I'm not expecting a piece of property or anything. I was just expecting some money so I believe I might be mentioned as a partial beneficiary. She says the money has already been put in an account however she needs my ssn, dob , address in order to release the funds to me and this information is proving that I am a legitimate person to receive it.

So what I am asking is if this usually happens where they put one of the people in charge to collect info in order to disburse funds or is my aunt trying to scam me? Should I give her my ssn or wait to be contacted by a representative. Please give me a step by step process of what I should do from here on out. I really appreciate your advice.

Oct 7, 2013, 01:27 PM
    Again, if you were a partial beneficiary of the insurance policy, the carrier would have contacted you directly. They would not have trusted someone else to distribute the money.

On the other hand, if you were mentioned in the will and there is money coming to you from the estate, then it is perfectly normal for an executor to handle distributions. And she may need your SSN for tax reporting purposes. But you can and should ask for a copy of the will or the details of the bequest.

Why would you think your aunt would try to scam you? If you are worried about identity theft, then sign up for a credit monitoring services. I can recommend creditkarma.com which is free.

Oct 7, 2013, 02:34 PM
    See below

Oct 7, 2013, 02:35 PM
    Again, if you were a partial beneficiary of the insurance policy, the carrier would have contacted you directly. They would not have trusted someone else to distribute the money.

On the other hand, if you were mentioned in the will and there is money coming to you from the estate, then it is perfectly normal for an executor to handle distributions. And she may need your SSN for tax reporting purposes. But you can and should ask for a copy of the will or the details of the bequest.

Why would you think your aunt would try to scam you? If you are worried about identity theft, then sign up for a credit monitoring services. I can recommend creditkarma.com which is free.

Thanks for all your advice. I am going to sign up for creditkarma.com , you know you never could be cautious enough especially with family during this time because they get really money hungry. So I just spoke with her and she clarified I was mentioned on the will but not mentioned on the policy. So If I decide not to give the ssn then I will be written off the will because she was the only one on the policy. I asked to speak to the agent she is handing over the ssn to and she said they won't even talk to me because I am not on the policy...

What do you think about this? Sound legit or fishy?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 7, 2013, 03:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by young_soulja View Post
    I am going to sign up for creditkarma.com
    Why?
    So I just spoke with her and she clarified I was mentioned on the will but not mentioned on the policy. So If I decide not to give the ssn then I will be written off the will because she was the only one on the policy.
    The insurance policy and the will have nothing to do with each other. They are two separate things.
    I asked to speak to the agent she is handing over the ssn to and she said they won't even talk to me because I am not on the policy...
    If your aunt is the executor, she may need your SSN for tax purposes. If you refuse to cooperate, you will inherit nothing. Legally, she is required to distribute the estate monies, etc. to the heirs.

Oct 7, 2013, 03:25 PM
    This is still not making sense. If you were not a listed beneficiary of the policy, then you have NOTHING to do with the policy. Not sure how many different ways I have to say that. Forget the policy. It has nothing to do with you since you were not a beneficiary.

If you were mentioned in the will, then you have a right to ask her what the terms were with respect to your bequest. But I see no problem in giving her your SSN. I don't know if she has a right to withhold your inheritance because you won't give your SSN, but its not a fight I would fight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Life Insurance Question? [ 4 Answers ]

Is there any way to tell If a life insurance policy has been taken out on your life without your knowledge? I just fired a shady lawyer that attempted to convert my home and assets in a will she had drawn up for me. I'm in stage 4 of CLL and just want to be sure I'm completely clear of her. ...

A company insurance salesman sold a life insurance policy to a client for a premium o [ 1 Answers ]

A company insurance salesman sold a life insurance policy to a client for a premium of $25,000. The agency billed the client for the policy and is entitled to a commission of 20%. How do I do an adjusting journal entry for this question? Will it have two parts to it?

Shall I be successful in insurance agency( life insurance corporation of india) [ 2 Answers ]

At present I am a life insurance agent full timer since last 01 year but not much business. I want to know whether I shall be successful in this profession.

View more questions Search