Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    desto Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2013, 07:32 PM
    Do I need both parents to change last name of minor
    My daughter is 12 and we would like to change her last name to mine not her fathers anymore he is not in her life and has not been for years so if we do would we need him to help or can it be done ourselves
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 6, 2013, 06:14 AM
    In gerneral you will need to seek the bio fathers approval unless there is a different father named such as a legal father. If you can't agree on a name change then it may not take place. Also it will depend on reasons a name change is requested as well as the impact on the child's life. A 12y/o has already established records and already has a reputation of sorts being called by a given name.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 6, 2013, 06:15 AM
    You will have to show that you have tried to serve notice of the change to the father.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change name of minor when parents never married [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to change the last name of my baby after it has been put on the birth certificate. The father's name is on the birth certificate but we have never married. I would like for the baby's last name to be my last name. We live in the state of GA.

Guardianship for minor both parents in prison [ 1 Answers ]

Searching for most quick way to obtail guardianship over a minor child I have been railsing for over three years now. Both parents are in prison. The child is needing some medical procedures. All relatives are aware I have been raising the child and wish to continue without threat of losing him. ...

Minor Name Change/Birth Certificate Change [ 2 Answers ]

15 year old minor, born in Marion County, Indianapolis, IN, living in WI with his dad, mom in FL--with joint custody, would like to change his name to his dad's and has both parents consent. Does this have to be filed in IN? Are there forms that the parents can fill out and file without the...

Minor child's last name change parents never married both last names on Birth certifi [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 10 and I need to know how to change her last name. Both last names of the parent and non custodial parents last names are on the Birth certificate (hyphenated) but she only uses one name, however schools she attends uses both with the non custodial parents last name first. She...

View more questions Search