Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    agarg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 11:43 PM
    L1 visa tax return filing for dependents, self
    I was on L1 visa work permit in US, Foreign National from Jan 2006 - Mar 2006 and Jun 2006 - Sep 2006. My wife and my kid stayed with me for the entire period. She was on L2visa.

I have received my W2, and would like to know few things about tax return

1) Was my wife eligible to apply for SSN as we did not apply for one?
    2) Can I file the tax return as "Married Filing Jointly"? My wife does not have SSN as well as ITIN at the moment
    3) Does it require being physically present in order to apply for ITIN/SSN? As we are not in US and can only operate through email or postal service

Please suggest so that I can file jointly and can process all the documents being not physically there.

Also suggest how much difference in tax (approximate figure) will be there if I have to file as single. My approximate gross pay for the ~7 months period is ~$38k

Thanks in advance.

Ashish
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 3, 2007, 03:20 PM
    1) She cannot apply for a SSN, bt she can apply for an ITIN using Form W-7.

2) Yes, if you submit the W-7 for your wife's ITIN with the tax return.

3) no, her physical presence is NOT required to file jointly.

BIG difference! At least $2,000 in additional refund.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1b visa holder filing joined tax return with H4wife [ 1 Answers ]

I reached US on H1b visa at the middle of October, 2005 and filed tax for 2005 as resident alien by waiting up to June, 2006 for passing SPT. So my 2005 tax filing went fine. I married on Nov3,2006 and my wife reached (h4 visa) here on Nov 28, 2006. For getting ITIN for my wife I...

Tax Return - H1B & H4 Dependents [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am filing my 2006 taxes and wanted to know if my wife and child who have not yet come to US can be claimed in my tax return? They are planning to come in May 2007... can I apply for postponement and then file the return later with them as dependents? Please reply fast... Thanks...

F1 Visa:NY Return:Filing joint or separate? [ 1 Answers ]

I am claiming my dependent on 1040NR and I am checking the box "Married Resident of Canada". What does this imply on my NY return then as there is no such option? Is it filing separately or jointly? There is no option on 1040NR that states married filing joint return or married filing separately so...

L1 visa and filing tax return for the first time [ 3 Answers ]

I came to US on my L1 on Mar 2005 and returned back July 2005. Came back to US again on the same L1 visa on 1st Jan 06 and in US till date. I need to file my tax return for the first time in US. I have few clarifications. They are as follows. Tax experts, please help me. 1) Am I a resident...

L1 visa tax return filing for dependents, self [ 1 Answers ]

Iam on L1 visa workpermit in US, Foreign National, resident alien, (2005-2006) worked from sep-05 to Apr-06 as Single status (ie,. I did not bring my dependents). Returned to home country in 2006 April, and back to US again in Oct-06 to till date with dependents (ie wife + kids). I received my...

View more questions Search