Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JamesD93 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2013, 05:23 PM
    What are employers looking for when they're hiring college graduates?
    I am currently completing my BS degree at the moment. I transferred over to this college a year ago after completing my AS degree. I'm trying to intern or volunteer in programs that relate to my major so I can gain some experience before I graduate. The thing I'm not sure about is what employers are looking for when considering hiring college graduates. I know employers don't have to pay fresh out of college graduates when no experience as much money compared to someone with experience along with a degree.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 2, 2013, 06:09 PM
    Hi James

I feel your pain... I also interned and volunteered (for years) while pursuing undergrad. And grad. Degrees. Can you tell us a little more about your chosen/preferred field, and how you have been busy, "trying to intern or volunteer in programs that relate to my major"?

I've been hiring people for a long time... maybe I can help a bit?

Thanks... Mark
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 2, 2013, 06:11 PM
    Employers are looking for the top of the class, someone with some experience as well as education. It's a tough market right now, you have to be the best to get into your field, and even then you're competing with the others that were the best. You have to stand out somehow. So keep applying for internships, hone your skills, and work on interview skills as well. You have to stand out, that's the only way to succeed. Knowing someone that's in the field, that can help, is also very beneficial.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If you signed for a college and the person graduates and refuses to pay? [ 5 Answers ]

I was promised by the student he would pay the loan if I would sin for him to finish his 4year degree. He inished school and now works. He refuses to pay> is there anything I can do through the courts to make him pay this.

My daughter graduates HS on 6/3/11. Can I prorate my last child support payment? [ 2 Answers ]

She is only 17, but my order says support ends when she turns 18 or graduates HS, whichever occurs first. I pay half on the first and half on the 15th. Can I prorate my last payment through 6/3 or do I have to pay through 6/15 or 6/30?

Ways for graduates to apply for job with agencies? [ 5 Answers ]

1) apply in person by making as appointment 2) apply by online 3) 4)

Any future for IT graduates? [ 2 Answers ]

Good day to you Considering the fact that IT jobs in the US are being outsourced today Is there any future for IT graduates in the US? What jobs are available and are unlikely to be sent outside?

View more questions Search