Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Trishala Raj Posts: 95, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2013, 03:03 PM
    H1B transferred to Qatar - tax implication
    I have been working in US for the last 7 years on H1B visa. In May I have been transferred to Qatar to work for 2 years. How do I file my taxes this year? Should I report world wide income. What if my spouse gets a job in Qatar . Should I report that income? She is currently on h 4 visa. Do I have dual status ? Am I a resident due to substantive presence ?
    Please do let me know. Earlier I used to file 1040 .
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 1, 2013, 06:14 PM
    For the 2013 tax return, you ARE eligible to file an expatriate dual-status return by yourself, while claiming your wife as a dependent. In that case, you would be taxed ONLY on income earned while you were INSIDE the borders of the United States.

You can also file jointly with your wife and you both CHOOSE to be treated as U.S. residents for ALL of 2013, in which case ALL income earned in 2013 by you AND your wife would be taxed, while claiming a Foreign Tax Credit for any income taxes paid to state of Qatar.

You would have to model the tax return BOTH ways to determine which method of filing is best.

Oct 1, 2013, 09:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    For the 2013 tax return, you ARE eligible to file an expatriate dual-status return by yourself, while claiming your wife as a dependent. In that case, you would be taxed ONLY on income earned while you were INSIDE the borders of the United States.
    Thanks for the
    Pp

You can also file jointly with your wife and you both CHOOSE to be treated as U.S. residents for ALL of 2013, in which case ALL income earned in 2013 by you AND your wife would be taxed, while claiming a Foreign Tax Credit for any income taxes paid to state of Qatar.

You would have to model the tax return BOTH ways to determine which method of filing is best.
    Thanks for the response.
    Also wanted to clarify
    1. I get paid in $ and it's a direct deposit in my US account itself from which taxes are withheld . I do not get paid in any form in Qatar currency.

2. My wife , when we were in US was working on H 1B and converted to h4 visa a month before we came to Qatar

3. I have 2 kids who are my dependents.

4. My wife will be employed shortly. Should I report her Qatar income?
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 1, 2013, 10:03 PM
    1) It does not matter how you get paid; your physical location dictates the tax ability of the pay if file dual status.

2) If you do not file jointly, she will have to file her own dual status return.

3) The children makes filing jointly more likely, but regardless, they WILL be claimed as dependents on either the joint return or the dual status returns.

4) Only on the joint return will her Qatar income be reported.

Oct 5, 2013, 07:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    1) It does not matter how you get paid; your physical location dictates the tax ability of the pay if file dual status.

2) If you do not file jointly, she will have to file her own dual status return.

3) The children makes filing jointly more likely, but regardless, they WILL be claimed as dependents on either the joint return or the dual status returns.

4) Only on the joint return will her Qatar income be reported.
    Thank you for your response. Sorry for the delay in responding. My phones and internet were down.

Do let me know if I have understood this right.

I will file a joint return at the end of the year which would be a dual status return. A dual status return means a 1040 NR for the time I am a non resident alien and attach a 1040 with it for the beginning of 2013 for which I was a resident.
    I had read on the IRS site that if you are a non resident alien, you are taxed on income only from US sources for
    The Part of The Year You are a Nonresident Alien
    "For the part of the year you are a nonresident alien, you are taxed on income from U.S. sources only."
    In that case, should I report my wife's Qatar income? In Qatar , no one pays taxes. So there is no credit to claim.

I would appreciate your response. Thanks in advance.
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 6, 2013, 06:02 AM
    No, a joint return and a dual status return are two different types of tax returns.

If you file jointly, you are both choosing to be treated as residents one last time, which allows you to claim the joint standard deduction and claim the $1,000 Child Tax Credit for each child. This MAY result in a larger refund, but DOES require that you claim ALL world-wide income from both spouses earned between 1Jan through 31 Dec 2013.

The dual status return can only be filed by you. On this return, you would claim only your U.S.-sourced income, and would claim your wife and children as dependents, but there will be NO joint standard deduction (you MUST itemize) and NO Child Tax Credit.

I would have to model the return both ways to determine which is best for you.

If you need professional help, email at the email address in my profile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B transferred denial [ 0 Answers ]

Hello I had H1b From company A. And I moved to company B . Company B filed for my H1b transferred from company A to Company B. But my H1b got denial. Also they revoke my H1b from Company A. Now which are the possible ways to stay and work here in USA? Can company B file my h1b again in premium...

Return to india on H1B - tax implication [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I am on H1B visa working in USA for last 6 years and am planning to relocate to india over the summer (May-June 2010) and I have few questions around the tax implications I would have from my relocation: Facts: 1. I have 3 dependents (Wife is India citizen and has no income, 2 children...

Self H1B, wife transferred from H4 to F1 in Aug'07 - What is our tax filing status? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I were in the US right from the beginning of 2007. I have been on H1B throughout the calendar year. We are citizens of India. She was on H4 attending school full time starting Sept 2006. We filed for her change of status to F1 visa. Her application was approved on Aug 08, 2007,...

OPT transferred to H1B - Filing of Taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, 1. My OPT began on the 3rd of July and I started work in the 1st week of August on my OPT. 2. My H1B got approved in Oct 2006 and I am still continuing to work at the same employer now on my H1B. 3. Due to the lack of knowledge; my employer kept deducting H1B taxes from me even while I...

View more questions Search