Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    milly-love Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2013, 11:55 AM
    Is braille useful?
    I would be grateful if you would help with my health and social coursework, we are studying types of communication and I need to write a statement on whether braille is a useful form of communication please could you tell me your opinion and reasons you think that, thanks
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 1, 2013, 12:20 PM
    Your best way to do the proper research on this is to call/visit area public and academic library reference desks. The reference librarians deal even with blind readers -- obtaining Talking Books and braille or connecting blind readers with a source for those -- and so they have definite opinions on how useful braille is.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2013, 12:22 PM
    Its extremely useful if you are blind. Not everything can be accessed in audio format.

Oct 2, 2013, 08:00 AM
    Thanks, however I can't get to a library due to transportation uses and distance, thanks anyway! :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 2, 2013, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by milly-love View Post
    thanks, however i can't get to a library due to transportation uses and distance, thanks anyway!! :)
    Well, then. Most libraries have email reference services. You could use that.

As a retired public librarian who dealt with blind patrons for many years, I will tell you that smoothy is correct -- there are many books/magazines/journals that are in braille only and have not been converted to audio.

Sometimes braille and audio material is housed in a special building and is available to many libraries and their patrons in a particular state. Because of state funding cuts, though, much of it comes directly to the patron postage free from the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C.

Braille books are often HUGE and THICK and may come in several volumes.

Name:  abb.braille.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  8.0 KB

Often, children's braille books are written in both braille and whatever language, so the sighted parent can read the books to the child while the blind child follows along with the braille words.

Name:  abb.braille2.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  9.3 KB

Oct 2, 2013, 10:16 AM
    Thank you, in your opinion do you think braille is an effect form of communication?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 2, 2013, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by milly-love View Post
    Thank you, in your opinion do you think braille is an effect form of communication?
    Yes, for the blind who know braille.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search