Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbyrne230 Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

Oct 1, 2013, 10:25 AM
    Leaving my 17 year old son for a week
    Hello Everyone, looking for some advice please. My 21 year old son is studying abroad for a year. My husband and I want to visit him for a week. We have to leave our 17 year old son at home and would like him to stay with his granny and aunt. They are lovely people who will spoil him for the week and he knows them well and is comfortable with them. We are going to discuss it with him tonight. My worry is how to tell him we are leaving him for a week to visit his brother without making him feel left out. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2013, 11:23 AM
    Most 17 year olds that I know would love a week of independence. Can he stay at home with Aunty and Grandma checking up on him?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Oct 1, 2013, 11:48 AM
    Is he really that fragile that at 17 he has to be let down easy so as not to feel left out? Tell him, "We're going to see your brother....haha, just fooling....You're not really going."

Ok, don't do that but why the worry about letting him down easy?

And as Oliver said, he'd probably jump at the chance to live alone for a week!

Think of the parties he could have!
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2013, 12:18 PM
    Yeah.. the first thing that came to mind was this movie...

Project X (2012) - IMDb

As well as a number of others... even if he might not on his own... peer pressure might influence him.

Yeah... I'm thinking what can go wrong... staying with the his aunt and grandmother is a good and safe option. And shouldn't upset him unless he really might consider doing things he shouldn't.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 2, 2013, 12:47 AM
    I guess why can he not go ? You are going over seas ? You said abroad ? And not going to take him, Has he been there before ? Is it a matter of money ?

Yes, if this is a trip over seas, to see his brother, and he has never been there, and he miss his brother, I can see him being very angry and perhaps never really forgive it
    mbyrne230 Posts: 35, Reputation: 2

Oct 2, 2013, 01:18 AM
    Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately Oliver, his aunt and granny are a bit too far away to check on him regularly. Odinn7, the parties are another worry. Smoothy, I agree with you, thanks for that. Fr. Chuck, yes it is a matter of money. We can't afford for all three of us to go and his brother will be coming home next year. I think we'll just tell him that his aunt and granny would love a chance to spend some time with him for the week while we're gone and hopefully that should be OK.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Oct 2, 2013, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mbyrne230 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately Oliver, his aunt and granny are a bit too far away to check on him regularly. Odinn7, the parties are another worry. Smoothy, I agree with you, thanks for that. Fr. Chuck, yes it is a matter of money. We can't afford for all three of us to go and his brother will be coming home next year. I think we'll just tell him that his aunt and granny would love a chance to spend some time with him for the week while we're gone and hopefully that should be ok.
    I'd try to find a way to purchase one more ticket. As much as you miss your son, I'm sure he misses his brother. Make sure you notify teachers well in advance if you can take him along.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My son father took him for the week, the week pass now he isn't [ 7 Answers ]

My son father took him for the week,the week pass now he is giving me but's ,I took piity for he can spend time with my son but now I am afraid that he will not bring him back. What should I do.

Leaving my dog for a week [ 4 Answers ]

As some of you know Duke has separation anxiety... It has been getting better, I can leave for a night without him pulling his fur out, but I'm leaving on a hunting trip for a week and can't take duke. How can I make the week easier?

Leaving the country for a week with traffic warrants [ 8 Answers ]

I am going to Cancun for my best friends wedding in a week and just found out about it last week. Very short notice. I have some old tickets that I hadn't taken care of yet in Nevada for driving with no license and no insurance. I moved to Oregon shortly after I got them and for got about taking...

Mother cat leaving 2 week kittens for more than 12 hours [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have taken in a stray cat with 2 kittens and they were doing fine, but today she went out as usual this morning but has not returned. Normally she only leaves them for about an hour. Is this unusual? The kittens are about 2 weeks old I think. I have never looked after kittens before and...

Leaving West Virginia for a week on probation [ 2 Answers ]

Well I want to leave West Virginia and I am on probation and want to go to California and visit with my best friend and his mom has breast cancer and I want to see her before anything happens,ill be back in a week.. I wasn't going to ask my probation officer because if he says no then I don't want...

View more questions Search