Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sreprattsmi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Taking spouses name of mortgage
    Spouse received monetary equity for property when divorced. Spouse sign quit claim deed to property. Mortgage is in both names. Since the divorced property has been converted to a rental property. Talked with mortgage company and will not take spouse off mortgage. What, or is there anything I can do to get spouses name off mortgages. Loan companies said would not refinance because property is rental. Is there any other alternatives or just sell or bankrupt?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 28, 2007, 08:08 PM
    You can not take her name off the mortgage, until the loan is paid off, so you will have to find a company to refiance to get a new loan,

And for your Spouse, if for some reason you did not pay the mortgage, they can still come after them, if you dn't pay, they can of course then sue you in divorce court.
    starwarsgal Posts: 11, Reputation: 3

Mar 29, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Oh wow, first of all you can refinance the property and do a loan as:
    Non owner occupied/investment property.
    The spouse name is on the initial loan so it won't come off until it is paid in full.
    You can refinance and payoff the loan but you just have to be sure that you can qualify for a new loan on YOUR OWN (without spouse).
    Be careful when speaking with mortgage companies, they do not have your best interest at hart, I have been in the business for years, please be very skeptical when refinancing and do your home work.
    I encourage all my borrowers to meet me, talk to me, trust me, question me. Your home is your biggest asset! Proceed with caution.
    Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to add spouses name to deed on house... [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know how to go about adding my name to the deed of our house. Who would I see... realtor, title company... and what forms do we need to fill out?

Garnishing Spouses Wages [ 2 Answers ]

My sister has an old debt from 3yrs ago. She is now married and the debt collector has told her they are going to garnish her and her new husbands wages. Can they garnish his wages for her old debt? Debt is a credit card and her husbands name was NEVER added on. Thanks! Nashville, TN

Paying Off A Spouses Credit Debts [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know something about paying off debts that a spouse made that one didn't know about and did not sign for her to get. The spouse died and the creditors are trying to make me pay for the debts that she made before she died that I didn't find out about until after her death. I...

Workplace Spouses [ 2 Answers ]

I am a journalist working on a story about the phenomenon of "workplace spouses" a reference to the intense personal and empotional bonds--not sexual--that can form between mena and women who work very closely together for very long hours. I have been told by HR experts that these relationships can...

View more questions Search