Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ckh821 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2013, 01:32 PM
    Dual Citizenship
    Both of my parents were born in Germany. I was born in the US in 1946 but am now interested in getting my dual citizenship. I have read that because my parents were both German I already considered a citizen. Is this correct? I would like to get a German passport.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 30, 2013, 02:07 PM
    First you need to be able to show that both parents were German citizens at the time of your birth in the US. If either (or both) had renounced their German citizenship to become American citizens prior to your birth then you would not be a German citizen by birth and could not now apply for dual citizenship.

If you do decide to move forward and are successful be aware that as a German citizen you will owe taxes to Germany on your income, as well as to the US.

Here's a website that may help you understand dual citizenship:
    Dual Nationality | United States Diplomatic Mission
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Oct 1, 2013, 08:16 AM
    You should contact the German Embassy for information and what kind of documents they would need from you.

http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/05__Legal/02__Directory__Services/02__Citizenship/Citizenship__Obtain.html

Also, the tax system is different in Germany and you do not automatically owe taxes in Germany as Germany does not tax worldwide income if you live outside of Germany (differnt of course if you live in germany).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dual citizenship? [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible for a U.S. citizen to obtain dual citizenship with another nation?

Dual Citizenship [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a United States Citizen, and am interested in dual citizenship with Canada. Would I need to establish residency in a Province or Territory (of Canada) to obtain dual citizenship? I don't have any family ties in Canada. It is said that in 2008, a passport will be needed to go to the Canadian...

Dual citizenship [ 6 Answers ]

I was born and France and just recently visisted family for the first time. I was born in France because my father was in the military. I fell in love with France it felt like home to me. How do I appy for dual citizenship? I would like to go back for an extended time:)

Dual citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My father and grandparents were born in Paris, France. I was born in the United States, where I now live. I am interested in dual citizenship with France and the U.S. for studying purposes. I live in Philadelphia, but I believe the French Embassy is in New York. Does anyone have any...

View more questions Search