Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helena1959 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 05:49 PM
    Employer deduction
    Currently, 25% of my pay is being deducted due to a garnishment. My employer is taking an addition $15 out of each check for the processing of this. He claims it is additional work.

Is this legal?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 28, 2007, 06:00 PM
    Each state has its own rules as to what is allowed, I know we are allowed 6 dollars here. You will want to check the garnishmnet paperwork, it should say if and how much is allowed for the paperwork. That does seem a little high but getting a fee for doing the garnishment is allowed.
    In all of the garnishments we have had to do on people, the actual garnishment stated what was allowed to be taken.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 to H1B - Itemized Deduction/ Standard Deduction? [ 17 Answers ]

Dear all, My status in US changed from F1 to H1B in mid Nov 2004. I was on F1 from Sep 2002-Nov 2004. Will I be able to take the standard deduction ? If so will it be under the US-India treaty? Please help. Regards.

Is it legal for an employer to do this? [ 11 Answers ]

In Indiana, one of the head managers of a nursing home(#1) is married to a gentlemen working in another nursing home(#2). Now, Indiana is a "right to work" State; meaning she can fire you if you where the wrong colored socks to work, and you can quit at any time without having to give any...

401k deduction / employer match/ income statement [ 1 Answers ]

I was ask how does this effect the income statement. "I paid the employer match of 401k from the 401k withheld instead of the accrued profit sharing account. " I thought when we made the adjustment that would bring the income statement down by the amount of the match but I was told it didn't effect...

Employer paid too much [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question about vested interests. My former employer paid me 100% of the vested interest in my 401K instead of 40%. I was unaware of this at the time and I am still not sure it is in fact true as the dollar amount they say they paid me does not match my records. I just received a letter...

Standard Deduction Vs itemized Deduction [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian citizen. I as on a F1 status till Oct 18th 2004 and then I got converted to a H1B on Oct 18th 2004. I do not pass the standard presence test. Correct me if I am wrong, but I guess I have been able to determine that I am a Non Resident Alien and not a dual-status nonresident...

View more questions Search