Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    92clueless Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2013, 02:05 PM
    Can I apply for a job both directly and also through a recruiter?
    There is a job position where a recruiter has submitted my resume.and came back to me that there is only a 50% chance of success.
    I am very tempted to apply direct with the employer as if I'm to be considered for an interview - my cost through the agent will make me disadvantaged in the position. Eg choosing between 2 similarly-qualified, but 1 is a direct applicant and the other is a recruiter-applicant - I think the employer will go for the direct applicant because of lower cost (do not have to pay for agent fees).

What is the consequence of me applying directly to the employer if the recruiter has already submitted my CV? Thanks.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 27, 2013, 02:19 PM
    I tend to agree with you. If you are qualified and "attractive," I too would think the employer would rather avoid the agency costs. The agency may never want to deal with you again, though.

Sep 28, 2013, 05:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I tend to agree with you. If you are qualified and "attractive," I too would think the employer would rather avoid the agency costs. The agency may never want to deal with you again, though.
    Thanks, Wondergirl. Do you think I can apply direct with the employer as well? How will that affect my application?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 28, 2013, 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 92clueless View Post
    Thanks, Wondergirl. Do you think I can apply direct with the employer as well? How will that affect my application?
    Has the employer advertised "publicly" as in a newspaper? How do you know there is an opening other than through the agency?

Sep 28, 2013, 05:33 PM
    Has the employer advertised "publicly" as in a newspaper? How do you know there is an opening other than through the agency?
    Yes the employer advertised publicly in the job board.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 28, 2013, 05:36 PM
    The benefit that the agency gives to the employer is that the agency interviews you and vets you as being a good candidate for the job. Does this employer know you at all? If not, you might lose out to a vetted candidate who is applying through a similar or the same agency.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 28, 2013, 05:37 PM
    Inside his company? Like in the staff room?

Sep 28, 2013, 05:46 PM
    Inside his company? Like in the staff room?
    But the employer has its own hr dept... The manager that this position reports to briefly knows me since we are in a the same industry. I'm just worried that if I apply direct, the employer will not consider me at all knowing that the agent has also represented me.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 28, 2013, 05:55 PM
    but the employer has its own hr dept...The manager that this position reports to briefly knows me since we are in a the same industry. I'm just worried that if I apply direct, the employer will not consider me at all knowing that the agent has also represented me.
    After thinking about this -- if the employer has gone to an agency to get help in finding a qualified employee, you might be better off going through the agency. It's not your concern or responsibility to save the company money.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 28, 2013, 06:27 PM
    Since you have already used the recruiter, you are free of course to contact the business but you will still be obligated to pay the recruiter since they have submitted your paper work to the company. This is more a follow up from the referral that is already given.

I would do it, but don't expect not to pay the recruiter
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 29, 2013, 06:18 AM
    You can contact the manager you know as a follow-up, but do not submit your resume separately. This is unethical and will reflect poorly with the company.

The only way this wouldn't be unethical is if you were not aware of what company the agency submitted you to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recruiter vs directly apply to a position [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I applied through a recruiter for a position he was posted (he doesn’t mention the name of the company then) I sent him my cv and he called me and said he spoke with his client and he is interested and sent me their form to fill and I sent it back he then told me he will fix an interview...

How can I apply for a Green Card directly from L2 Visa? [ 5 Answers ]

I am on L2 Visa and applied for an EAD (Form No. I-765). Is is possible for me to apply for a green card directly from an L2 visa or I need to take the H-1 route??

Is it dangerous to apply serums directly to your face? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm always reading about people mixing them with lotions. I just apply them directly to my face. Am I using them wrong? I feel I get faster/better results this way...

Can I apply stucco directly to a concrete fence? [ 2 Answers ]

The county erected a monolithic, 10 foot, concrete sound wall in my back yard. I read an article about stucco failure because of poor moisture management on a frame house. Can I put stucco directly on this concrete wall without concern of moisture weakening the bond?

View more questions Search