Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snugglepumpkin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2013, 11:51 AM
    My ex husbands name is on my sons birth certificate but he is not the biological dad
    My ex-husbands name is on my sons birth certificate but he is not the biological father how do I go about removing his name so that my husband can adopt him? My ex- has cut off all ties to this son. Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 27, 2013, 04:54 PM
    This will depend on where you live. He is legally the father of the child, even if not the bio father. Has paternity been challenged in court ? But since he is legally the father, he can sign over his rights to allow your new husband to adopt. You will need to consult an attorney in your area to see if he thinks that the bio father has any rights at this point and perhaps he needs to be contacted to sign over his rights also
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 27, 2013, 06:41 PM
    Any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

Assuming you were married when your son was born, your ex is the child's legal father. Is your husband the bio dad? In any case, it would probably be easier for your husband to adopt with your ex relinquishing his rights.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 28, 2013, 05:04 AM
    As others have sort of suggested, you are trying to put the cart before the horse. Do the adoption and the birth certificate change will follow. In most states, a birth certificate is amended after an adopiton is ordered.

And, frankly, I don't see any reason to add the complication about your ex not being the bio-father. He is legally the father and his consent to the adoption will do the trick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my fiancé sign my sons birth certificate if he is not the biological father, [ 4 Answers ]

Can my fiancé sign my sons birth certificate at birth if he is not the biological father,the biological father left when I was only 2 months pregnant. Is it illegal for me to put my fiancé on his birth certificate if he's not the biological father?

How can I change my sons name when father on birth certificate isn't biological? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been to court in the past and the solcitor has offered my ex 3 chances to do dna tests on my son but he refused to turn up because he knows he isn't his biological dad, I was bullied and threated to put his name on, but now its causing allsorts of problems. The parter I'm currently engaged...

How can husband adopt my son w/out biological dad's full name on birth certificate? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Maryland. My child was born in Maryland. I was unmarried at the time. My husband wants to adopt our 10 year old son. Here are the problems. I do not know the location of the biological father. I do not remember the address of where he lived the last time I had contact with him around...

How do I get my ex husbands name off my sons birth certificate [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 4 yr. old son and his biological dad and I are together now. I was married at the time I got pregnant and didn't know who was the dad. I got a divorce and in my divorce it states that my ex is not my sons father. My ex is on my sons birth certificate and my son has his last name as...

My 1 year old sons dad is a waster he's not on birth certificate does he have rights? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old son with a man called gary, he was not there for me in my pregnance he dened the child was his and I proved it with a dna test and he starts seeing my son for a few months then he doesn't show up for weeks then he turns up again when he wants to. Luckily my son is too young to...

View more questions Search