Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RMCB Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2013, 11:44 AM
    Connecting wires to capacitor on condenser fan motor
    Replacing capacitor on Emerson K55HXJGH-S667 Condenser fan motor. Motor leads are black, brown, and orange. Capacitor is 55/5MFD round 370 VAC with 3 sets of terminals marked C, HERM, and FAN. L1 power lead is direct from power block (orange wire) and purple wire comes from compressor which I assume is L2 as L1 and L2 wires go from power block to compressor. I am not sure how these wires connect to the capacitor. The condenser is a Rheem RAMB-018JAZ
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 27, 2013, 11:53 AM
    L1 power lead is direct from power block (orange wire)
    To C on capacitor.
    purple wire comes from compressor
    To Herm on capacitor

Wire from fan motor goes to "fan" on capacitor
    RMCB Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2013, 12:34 PM
    Ok, that helps but the three lead from motor- what terminals do they connect to on the Cap. ( forgot to mention that wiring diagram on lid is illegible )
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 27, 2013, 02:11 PM
    Two hots L1 and L2 come into contactor (what you are calling power block). They are really the same (120V to ground) just in opposite halves of the cycle. That gives you 240v between L1 and L2.
    Out of the contactor, one lead goes to compressor and to fan. The capacitor is two capacitors in one. Other lead out of contactor goes to common of capacitor. Out of the compressor side of capacitor (Herm) goes to compressor, giving you 240V at compressor with proper capacitance.
    Out of the fan side of capacitor (Fan) goes to fan motor giving you 240V to fan with proper capacitance.

Perhaps I am not understanding the question.
    KidChaos Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Sep 29, 2013, 02:48 AM
    Power always goes to the Common ands Run terminals, Start goes to fan on the cap

If you cannot read the diagram you will need to ohm the motors leads, do you have an ohmmeter?
    If so set the meter to ohms scale and grab any wire and read the values to the rest.
    The wire that's highest to that one take it and read to all the rest, the 2 farthest apart leads will be Run and Start.

The remaining lead is Common, now go to common and the lead with the least resistance to it is run that is where 1 line of voltage goes to common on the motor and 1 to common on the cap the cap is the other and Start goes to the remaining run cap terminal saying fan.
    KidChaos Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Sep 29, 2013, 02:57 AM
    If you cannot read the diagram you will need to ohm the motors leads, do you have an ohmmeter?
    If so set the meter to ohms scale and grab any wire and read the values to the rest.
    The wire that's highest to that one take it and read to all the rest, the 2 farthest apart leads will be Run and Start.

The remaining lead is Common, now go to common and the lead with the least resistance to it is run that is where 1 line of voltage goes to common on the motor and 1 to common on the cap the cap is the other and Start goes to the remaining run cap terminal saying fan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condenser fan motor turned the wrong way after capacitor changeout [ 8 Answers ]

I had a dual capacitor for the compressor and condenser fan fail. Since I could not find one on Sunday, I contacted an a/c repair to fix what I already knew was bad. They replaced the capacitor and noticed the condenser fan rotating in the wrong direction after the repair. Their fix was to turn...

Air conditioner condenser fan motor capacitor? [ 4 Answers ]

The Condenser Fan Motor Capacitor on my TRANE AC was replaced Sept. 2010, I had a handy man come to my home to do a repair for something unrelated and he took look at my AC and said he should replace the Capacitor. If I didn't I would burn my unit out. I wasn't home at the time a friend was and...

How to wire a condenser fan motor capacitor [ 2 Answers ]

I went from a 3 wire fan to a 4 wire fan. 1 black, 1 white, 1 brown and 1 brown with white stripe. I wired the 3 wires as before to the capacitor. I attached the brown/white wire to the terminal next to the brown on the capacitor. The fan turns, but slower than before. I removed the brown/white...

Wiring for ac condenser fan motor and capacitor [ 3 Answers ]

My new ac condenser fan motor has an extra wire,where does it go? My new motor is a dayton 1/6 hp 208-230 volt rpm is 1075 My old motor has 3 wires wires BLACK,BROWN,PURPLE,new one has BLACK,BROWN,PURPLE, AND BROWN WITH WHITE STRIPE.my new capacitor has 2 clusters of 4 posts,my old capacitor...

Condenser fan motor or capacitor [ 5 Answers ]

I noticed my outside unit buzzing the other day, and the fan was not running. The unit is about 7 years old. I changed the capacitor yesterday, and the unit worked for about 5-10 minutes, but then shut down again with the fan stopping and the buzzing again. I'm 99% sure the buzzing is coming...

View more questions Search