Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mook973 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2013, 04:01 PM
    Lost my 20yr old tragicly and need help coping.
    I lost my daughter in a tragic murder she has gotten shot in the chest and died. I need help coping that's my adult child and Im hurting.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 26, 2013, 04:11 PM
    I'm so very sorry for your loss, I can't imagine losing a child, losing my parents was bad enough, but I don't think I could survive the loss of a child.

Therapy is definitely something I'd recommend. Ask your doctor about resources around you, grief counseling, group therapy with people that are also dealing with loss. They really do help, and they allow you to see that you're not alone. Many of these people have found methods to deal with their loss so they can be a tremendous help with your grief.

Above all, allow yourself to grieve, there's no time limit on grief. But do ask for help in your community. Your doctor is a great place to start.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 26, 2013, 05:12 PM
    Groups for those who are grieving are in most communities, and are free. Look in the paper, ask churches and community centers.
    Talk to your daughter, out loud, as you go about your day. She will answer in your mind, because you know her so well that you know what she would say, and it doesn't matter if you believe if her spirit is there or not - it's comforting.
    Make a shrine. On a shelf, under a tree, in a garden... little mementos.
    Write a story of her life.
    Ask people to take you places but to not expect you to do much and to please not try to cheer you up. I used to say 'just prop me in a corner and act the way you always do.'
    Mark birthdays and special days with the usual cooking and so on... don't try to avoid those days, face them! It's still painful but it becomes a 'good' pain.
    If you see a girl who reminds you of her, ask her if you can just touch her hand for a second, and tell her why. You may find a new friend or even a young woman who needs someone like you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

20yr old daughter won't talk to me. [ 1 Answers ]

I raised my 3 children on my own when their father had a car accident and got post traumatic shock. When my youngerst was 6moths old he left with the kids all under 5. I was devastated and tried to help him ,I think I cried for 6 years, but gave them the best life could. Last yr I packed up and...

20yr old violation of probation [ 3 Answers ]

In 1989 I was sentenced to 10yrs(8 suspended)and 5 yrs probation for burglary I did 18 mo. On the remaining 2 yrs Forward 20 yrs and I receive a letter saying I violated probation and have to go to court soon. What are the chances that the judge will let me go or do you think he would give me more...

Issue with 20yr old son [ 3 Answers ]

How do I explain to him he need to be off car insurance if he continues to get speeding tix?he's in college with part time job , I feel awful! Because I know he can't afford it but needs his car. To go to work and school... I'm just sick over this :( and too top it off my husband is mad at me...

In love with 20yr old [ 6 Answers ]

Hi my names um john jacob(fake name) I've recenty been talking to a 20 year old and I'm 15 and I think I'm starting to fall for her what do I do?? What's the age law or dating?

View more questions Search