Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mollyp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2013, 07:00 AM
    Not up to code
    Hello! I am looking to buy a house as an investment property. The attic wiring is not up to code, but we are not planning on using it for anything except for storage. Can the old wiring just be removed, or does it need to be brought up to code?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 26, 2013, 07:07 AM
    It should be removable.
    medic-dan Posts: 321, Reputation: 23

Sep 26, 2013, 07:07 AM
    Hi Molly,

You don't have to bring ANYTHING up to the current code. If it is old, but passed when it was installed, it is grandfathered.

Home inspectors often don't realize that.

If there is a problem with the wiring however, then it needs to be fixed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 26, 2013, 08:43 AM
    If it is not safe, it needs to be removed or replaced. If it was up to the old code when installed, there is no need to do anything, at this time. But are you sure, that other wiring hidden is up to code, one area of out of code is often a signal for more.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2013, 10:46 AM
    If it was questionable in the attic, God only knows what it is like in the inaccessible areas. Either have it checked out thoroughly or pass on this house for investment.
    Doesn't matter what you are using the attic for, doesn't have much bearing on the issue unless you put flammable materials there and increase the risk.
    Not sure if you mean that the house will be used for storage or the attic used for storage. If you plan to re-sell it, a good inspector will bring the deficiencies to the attention of the potential buyer.
    Don't assume that the wiring visible in the attic is just for attic lights and is not needed elsewhere. Most likely the wiring you see there is for circuits servicing the floor below the attic.
    Get the house assessed by a qualified electrician before you purchase it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2000 honda accord radio security code shows code E [ 0 Answers ]

I had to replace the radio fuse on my 2000 Honda Accord. I have the security code number, but when I enter it, the CD message is code "E". How do I get the radio to play?

Why does my code box on my notisications show a red x and won't let me see the code [ 0 Answers ]

Why does my code box on my notisications show a red x and won't let me see the code.icant send anything with out the code.can't even get to my staus.this is on my yearbook.thanks!

Carrier furnace with a red flash code of 2 short and 1 long code [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Carrier and the furnace and the heat will not come on. The fan does come on but the burners will not ignite. I get a red flash code of 2 short and one short. I have the same thermostat upstairs and I switched them and the same result. The upstairs works fine with both thermostats. I have a...

Need code to unlock radio 2000 mitibushi galant es showing code on face [ 0 Answers ]

Can anyone help need code to unlock radio 2000 mitisubishi galant es face just reads code

Write pseudo code reads in course information that includes class code, three digit s [ 1 Answers ]

Design a flowchart or pseudocode for a program that accepts rental contract data and displays a completed rental contract ready for a customer’s signature. Accept the following as input: Contract number Customer’s first and last names Automobile’s vehicle identification number Starting date...

View more questions Search