Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vinagr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2013, 12:14 PM
    Tax exemption under article 21 India-US tax treaty
    Hi,
    I am on F-1 Visa and working in US company during my OPT. I filed my tax for 2012 and IRS withheld my tax refund stating:
    The Article 21 India - US tax treaty only exempts the income that is not from a US entity and since I am working for a US company, the remunerations are taxable.

I am confused about the situation now because all my friends received refund with same situation and only I am the one who didn't get the refund instead they asked me to pay a penalty.

Please help
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Sep 24, 2013, 12:41 PM
    The article from the treaty that is relevant in your situation is Article 21.

Paragraph 1 clearly states that you are exempt for payments for education/maintenance/training that arise outside the US.
    So payments that you receive from a US source are taxable to you.
    Paragraph 2 states that you are allowed to use the same exemptions/reductions on your tax return that residents are entitled too. So you would be allowed to use the standard deduction which non-resident aliens are not eligible for.

The IRS doesn't check all returns. So if your friends are really in the same situation as you, they filed a wrong return and should amend their returns.

ARTICLE 21
    Payments Received by Students and Apprentices
    1. A student or business apprentice who is or was a resident of one of the Contracting States
    Immediately before visiting the other Contracting State and who is present in that other State principally
    For the purpose of his education or training shall be exempt from tax in that other State, on payments
    Which arise outside that other State for the purposes of his maintenance, education or training.
    2. In respect of grants, scholarships and remuneration from employment not covered by paragraph
    1, a student or business apprentice described in paragraph 1 shall, in addition, be entitled during such
    Education or training to the same exemptions, reliefs or reductions in respect of taxes available to
    Residents of the State which he is visiting.
    3. The benefits of this Article shall extend only for such period as may be reasonable or
    Customarily required to complete the education or training undertaken
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 24, 2013, 01:33 PM
    Eventually, the IRS WILL catch up with your friends, and it would be better for them to come forward and pay the taxes that are due, because the penalties get worse as time goes by, and the interest compounds to the point that they may pay 2-3 times MORE than they would have had they filed correctly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Us india tax treaty article 25 [ 3 Answers ]

I am a US resident performing freelance editing for a company in India. I have been asked to provide a Tax residency certificate for the purpose of avoiding double taxation. Is Article 25 "Relief for Double Taxation" of the tax treaty what is being asked for in the perjury statement? I know that...

Tax and penalty exemption while withdrawing 401k through India-US tax treaty [ 11 Answers ]

As context, we resided in the United States from 2000 to 2009. Currently, we are Indian residents and Indian citizens (U.S. non-resident aliens). Through 4-5 years of employment in the US, we have a 401(k) account held in the U.S. (earned during years of employment and residency within the U.S.)....

Nonresident Indian student, US India tax treaty exemption [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a indian student, working in a university. I got a letter from the IRS saying my federal income tax return is being examined and they say I cannot claim the tax treaty income as I received a W2 form and not 1042-S form. Do I have to pay them back now? Is there a way I can do something...

India tax treaty exemption on California state tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was a full time employee from working on OPT from 01/01/07 to 09/30/07 and then was on H1-B status from 10/01/07 to 12/31/07. I am filing my 1040 nr for federal and would like to know answers to following questions: 1. what is the india tax treaty exemption for 2007 2. Is the standard...

View more questions Search