Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcarroll Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 01:26 PM
    Returned check
    A friend of mine received a returned check from one of her customers back in Dec. 2005 and has tried to collect the money back from them. It has been over a year and she still hasn't gotten any money from them. The amount was like $85, I think. Can she still try to get the money or is it too late? If is isn't too late, what is the next step she needs to take?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2007, 03:35 PM
    It is not too late at all.

Your friend needs to file a claim in small claims court against the customer. She should bring all paperwork showing her collection attempts. She really shouldn't have a problem getting a judgement in her favor. When she files the claim, tell her to make sure she includes all of her costs in trying to recover the money (bounced check fee, court filing fee,. ) Heck, she could even ask the judge to consider giving her lost interest. Don't know if she will get it, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Journalizing Entries for returned/damaged goods. [ 2 Answers ]

I am just a bit confused on this. Here is the problem. Damaged goods totaling $300 are returned. The scrap value of these goods is $150 Now looking back in the book, it says: If goods are returned because they are damaged the entries should be made for their estimated value. So far I have...

Returned check after 90 days [ 2 Answers ]

I deposited a check from my old employer on 12/8/06. It was cleared and now 70 days later it is showing returned and there taking it back out of my checking. Is this legal? I thought there was a 30 day window for returns. Please Advise!

Check returned by Bank mistake [ 3 Answers ]

I wrote a check of $1,296.00 to pay my rent, bank made a terrible mistake put $2,296.00 for this check and I did not have this amount I only had enough for this check and like $100.00 more so the returned my check charged me returned fees itens, now a have problem with the place where a live they...

Deposit Not Being Returned [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, We recently started the paperwork for a new house in Sacramento, CA being built by SHEA homes. After the papers were signed, we paid a deposit of $10,000 to the builder. Due to an unforeseen event we had to back out of the deal. The builder is refusing to pay the initial deposit back to...

Returned check [ 1 Answers ]

In New York State what is the legal procedure to collect on a bad check? I was told you need to send a registered letter to give time to pay on check, and what if the person who gave the check never receives any notice ? What rights do they have?

View more questions Search