Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ramon21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Forensic investigation
    I have a few questions

When might a latent fingerprint be permanent ?

If iron is the catalyst for tests that detect presence of blood, what compounds might give a false positive test?

Will the test for blood work only for human blood or will it detect animal blood?

What Characteristics must be possessed by the powder with which fingerprints will be dusted..

Please help with any you can

Thanks
    medgen Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Apr 4, 2007, 06:25 PM
    If iron is the catalyst for tests that detect presence of blood, what compounds might give a false positive test?

Iron is not the catalyst in these tests, heme is. More specifically, the peroxidase-like activity of heme is measured in these assays. Consequently, anything that contains a peroxidase (e.g. fresh plant extracts) or can oxidize hydrogen peroxide can theoretically produce a false positive. That said, if you use the gold standard, the Kastle-Meyer test, it is functionally specific for blood when red-brown stains are tested in the three-step process.

Will the test for blood work only for human blood or will it detect animal blood?

The chemical tests will detect animal blood. You need an ELIZA-type card assay to specifically identify human blood.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Forensic Summer Camps! [ 1 Answers ]

This isn't really a question, but more of something that I thought everyone would be interested in, since this is a Forensic Science forum. I found these two great Summer Camps for Forensics for high school students, and I thought this would be the perfect place to share them with you! Union...

Forensic science [ 2 Answers ]

Can you start a fire with table salt and water

Criminal Investigation [ 1 Answers ]

I want to become a crime scene investigator. I have a BA in sociology and I am currently going to school for anotherassociates degree in criminal justice and a certificate in forensic science. Does anyone know what I need to do to get this type of job? What type of classes I need? ANy types of...

Forensic Science vs Thermal Chemistry [ 0 Answers ]

Hey, I'm a student with huge project due in a couple of weeks :eek: and I really need some help... I have to link forensic science to thermal chemistry and I need all the resources I can get. If anyone out there can help in any shape or form, I'd greatly appreciate it! Please email me at...

View more questions Search