Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dgbabe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2013, 08:11 PM
    10 year old with poison oak?
    How do I treat this at home or do I need to take him to doctors?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2013, 08:22 PM
    What is the conventional treatment of poison oak?
    Treatment consists mostly of protecting the damaged skin, preventing infection and relieving the itching. Over-the-counter medications may be used to treat poison oak. Store-brand or generic versions of these medications also work and are usually available. If the case of poison oak is severe, you should see a physician for more extensive treatment with stronger steroid medications.

Avoid the use of older Caladryl that contains the ingredient "diphenhydramine," unless directed by your physician. Applying diphenhydramine to open sores and taking diphenhydramine by mouth can cause a toxic build-up of the drug.

If you wish, use calamine lotion as a topical treatment.
    Aloe vera gel can help heal skin irritated by scratching.
    Do not take oral prednisone for poison ivy or oak unless the cause is so severe that you become systematically ill (fever, difficulty in urinating, etc.) Do not use topical steroids unless specifically instructed to do so by a physician.
    Change clothing as soon as possible after exposure and handle contaminated clothing carefully to avoid spreading the poison oak. Launder clothes several times before re-wearing.
    Never burn poison oak.
    Do NOT wash the body with any concentration of liquid bleach after a poison oak exposure. Bleach is not helpful and the vapors can be irritating to the eyes, nose, throat and lungs. Bleach will irritate inflamed skin even more, causing redness and pain to sensitive body parts.

Treatment of Poison Oak - Dr. Weil

Tea tree oil, jewel weed work for poison ivy. I don't know if they would for poison oak.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Poison oak [ 6 Answers ]

Our three dogs all have a rash and bleeding sores on their backs and tail, sometimes on their belly, it looks like poison oak or one of those poison plants, can dogs get poison oak ?

Red oak versus white oak flooring [ 0 Answers ]

We are in the midst of a renovation of our kitchen and adjacent family room, and as part of it we are replacing the old wall-to-wall carpet in the FR with hardwood flooring, to match the existing hardwood in the kitchen. They put down the new floor two weeks ago and feathered it nicely into the...

Poison oak [ 4 Answers ]

I think I have poison ivy or poison oak can you help me I'm nervous

Poison Oak Prevention [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I went hiking Friday night with a close, intimate friend and he contracted severe poison oak about a day later. I didn't get any poison oak from this, but I was wearing jeans and long-sleeves. He had shorts and short-sleeves on. So while I most likely did not develop it from the plant, I...

Natural Poison Oak Prevention? [ 1 Answers ]

I tend to have delayed reactions to skin irritants and am concerned about very likely poison oak exposure. (The other person I was hiking with got very severe poison all over his body and we were hiking the same place.) It's possible I do not react to poison oak at this point or that my long...

View more questions Search