Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xviiinfinitum Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2013, 09:00 AM
    Theft Under $5,000 - First Offence, What Will Happen?
    I have been caught stealing roughly $250 worth of stuff from Sephora. I live in Toronto, Ontario.

Spoked to the police, they said most likely ill get a "slap on the wrist" when I go to court. Also they said I will have to go down to the police station and get fingerprinted and my photo taken. It is a stupid, stupid decision and it is my first time stealing. I can truly say this is a harsh lesson and I plan to never, ever do this again.

I just found out about diversion, will I be eligible for it? I know it was a lot of money.

I definitely plan on Legal Aid, but do I need a lawyer or consultation with a lawyer?

I'm a business student so I am very worried about being able to find a job or going to the States. What will happen to me ?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 21, 2013, 12:44 PM
    I definitely plan on Legal Aid, but do I need a lawyer or consultation with a lawyer?
    Huh? Legal Aid is lawyers (Unless Canada is stranger than I thought.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

First time offence for theft under $5000. I'm over 18, what will happen now? [ 0 Answers ]

A couple days ago I was caught shoplifting. I took a pair of $25 shades at the Bay. I'm in Manitoba. I am very ashamed and will never do this type of thing again. Anyway I was outside waiting at a bus stop when a man in plain clothes grabbed me by the arm. Being in downtown (where most crimes...

First offence shoplifting from walmart... Over 18... What will happen? [ 5 Answers ]

I was caught shoplifting a laptop at walmart about 2 weeks ago... they gave me a blue slip with a court date on it... I have stole from walmart before but never got caught... so I'm just wondering what will happen because I have heard that walmart will do everything they can to convict people... so...

THEFT UNDER $5000 - second offence. (1st offence = theft from employer) [ 10 Answers ]

I am 19 years old. Living in british columbia, canada. Yesterday me and my friend were shoplifting at metrotown mall.. we were being followed around the mall because of our big purses and did not know it until we went into "old navy" where we saw a bunch of bathing suits and flip flops and jammed...

Theft - second offence [ 12 Answers ]

First off, please don't just answer saying look at the other posts, because I have done that already, and still hasn't answered a lot of questions. And please spare the lecture, I have given that to myself enough since it has happened, I am not giving the details of what happened because they won't...

2nd Offence for Theft Under $5,000 [ 1 Answers ]

So this is my second offence for shoplifting. My first offence happened in summerschool with me and a bunch of friends and we took a cell phone off a kid. But since this was my first offence, I was offered to do a Diversion Program, where I had to right a bunch of essays about how stealing affects...

View more questions Search