Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladylike1234 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2013, 09:31 PM
    How to get a phone
    Okay so we've been going to school for a month and 1/2 and the transportation situation is driving me nuts. First it was that after school thing, now I need to use someone else's phone to call my mom about things she didn't know about, I have straight A's , but my mom refuses to buy me a phone, I really want the new BlackBerry, or a pink iPhone. How do I convince my mom to get me one?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 20, 2013, 10:18 PM
    You would use it only to call your mom?

Net10 has some reconditioned black ones for about $10 that are only for calling and maybe with an address book. She might go for one of those.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 20, 2013, 11:34 PM
    It's quite possible your mother can't afford a phone for you at your age.

Have you discussed this with her?
    pingsienl64l Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2013, 03:39 AM
    Recommend her to sign some package
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 21, 2013, 03:53 AM
    A phone is more than the cost of the phone - it's also monthly charges, which are a LOT.
    A phone is a distraction. Many schools spend many meetings over when to take them away from students. With texting, students can waste their entire day not learning a thing.
    I doubt that any of us answering here had cell/smart phones as children. I didn't, partly because they didn't exist.
    I never once had something I had to tell my mother, so I don't get that part. I hear the most inane conversations on phones, everywhere. Can you give us an example of something so important?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 21, 2013, 07:18 AM
    I can understand that you might need a phone to let your mom know when you are ready for pickup at school or if you need to stay after school for some activity.

I don't understand what this business is about calling about things she didn't know about. Are these things that came up during that day? They can't wait until you get home?

But if you do need a phone for emergency communication, then explain to her that's what's its for and its for her convenience. But don't expect a Blackberry or iPhone. There are simple phones that can be used just for emergencies.

Sep 21, 2013, 09:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    A phone is more than the cost of the phone - it's also monthly charges, which are a LOT.
    A phone is a distraction. Many schools spend many meetings over when to take them away from students. With texting, students can waste their entire day not learning a thing.
    I doubt that any of us answering here had cell/smart phones as children. I didn't, partly because they didn't exist.
    I never once had something I had to tell my mother, so I don't get that part. I hear the most inane conversations on phones, everywhere. Can you give us an example of something so important?
    They let us use phones at the end of the day, and everyone has a smart phone, if it's only for emergencies or not. Smart phones are a big deal, if I can't get a smart phone I'll just get an LG phone
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 21, 2013, 09:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ladylike1234 View Post
    They let us use phones at the end of the day, and everyone has a smart phone, if it's only for emergencies or not. Smart phones are a big deal, if I can't get a smart phone I'll just get an LG phone
    So you just want to be like everyone else and have a smartphone and not just for emergencies and to call your mom?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 22, 2013, 01:30 AM
    I'll bet anything that 'everyone' doesn't have a smart phone or even a phone period.
    I asked 1 high schooler not long ago, and he told me that about 10% of his school had no phone at all, and plenty of students didn't have a smart one.

Sep 22, 2013, 06:58 AM
    What's a phone period? And maybe not everyone has a smart phone, but they do have really fancy phones

Sep 22, 2013, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I can understand that you might need a phone to let your mom know when you are ready for pickup at school or if you need to stay after school for some activity.

I don't understand what this business is about calling about things she didn't know about. Are these things that came up during that day? They can't wait until you get home?

But if you do need a phone for emergency communication, then explain to her that's what's its for and its for her convenience. But don't expect a Blackberry or iPhone. There are simple phones that can be used just for emergencies.
    Once they cancelled after school and I didn't have a ride. I had to use some other girls phone to call her.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Sep 22, 2013, 07:09 AM
    Why don't you research the price of a phone and any monthly charges ? Then, figure out how you'll pay for it. Isn't the office open after school? What is so horrible about borrowing a phone for a call?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 22, 2013, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ladylike1234 View Post
    Once they cancelled after school and I didn't have a ride. I had to use some other girls phone to call her.
    So you have a simple restricted phone that will allow you to call mom if plans change. That makes sense. Anything else doesn't.

As jenn said do the research and present the alternatives, and pros and cons.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 23, 2013, 06:27 AM
    You want a very fancy phone, why not a simple phone if calling mom is the only issue ?
    Expert

Sep 23, 2013, 07:55 AM
    In this thread all your family has is a "landline."

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/middle...ml#post3555502

Why do you think you should have a cellphone if your parents don't? You can use a friend's phone or an office phone. That's what your parents do. Or do you just want to be one of the "cool kids?"

Sep 24, 2013, 08:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    In this thread all your family has is a "landline."

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/middle...ml#post3555502

Why do you think you should have a cellphone if your parents don't? You can use a friend's phone or an office phone. That's what your parents do. Or do you just want to be one of the "cool kids?"
    My parents have cell phones.and the office phone is closed.my mom has an LG phone she doesn't use,I can just get that one

Sep 24, 2013, 08:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Why don't you research the price of a phone and any monthly charges ? Then, figure out how you'll pay for it. Isn't the office open after school? What is so horrible about borrowing a phone for a call?
    Some kids carry around phones that don't even have phone service, I had to ark somany people
    Expert

Sep 24, 2013, 08:45 PM
    What do you want us to tell you? Ask your mother for a phone. What's the worst that could happen?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Samsung Galaxy Ace Duos S6802 mobile phone is good and worth buying phone? Please [ 0 Answers ]

I am going to buy Samsung Galaxy Ace Duos S6802 in around rs 13000. Is it a good mobile phone. As it is a newly launched Samsung phone so there are not much reviews and videos for this phone. As far as I know there are only two major problems in this mobile first its battery backup is bad and...

How to configure office landline phone exchange for mobile phone calling [ 1 Answers ]

We have DLT TC-416 telephone exchange switch in our office. We have 2 phone lines connected i.e. PHONE-LINE1 & PHONE-LINE2 and 6 telephones are connected inside the office. I want to configure it such that all the mobile phone calls e.g. 03331234567 which start from digit 0 (zero) should...

Can I access my cell phone contacts from my computer (online) if I haven't my phone? [ 6 Answers ]

I need to get some contacts from my verizon cell phone, but I don't have my phone. Is there any way I can access this online?

Land phone repairwhat to do when the phone line from phone needs a new plg [ 2 Answers ]

Why isn't my modular plug working from my phone

View more questions Search