Ask
    ankara Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 11:41 AM
    Cold calls
    How do I avoid getting brushed off.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 28, 2007, 12:10 PM
    You don't, you get brushed off, and go on another call, it is all a matter of numbers.

Are you doing sale calls, or in person calls, there are different ways.

But in both it is just a matter that only a few percent will actually talk to you, so you work the numbers to find the few that do talk to you.
    wags Posts: 80, Reputation: 4

Apr 6, 2007, 03:26 PM
    First you need to do your homework. Depending on what your selling and whom your selling it to. You need to know IF the potential customer NEEDS what your selling, and WHY he needs it. Then you need to get to the right person, the one that can make a decision. You have perhaps 15 seconds to "hook" the potential customer in, so, knowing that persons needs you can better aim how your product or service will solve his problem, even if he didn't know he had the problem.
    Walking into a business and asking if they want to buy "whatever" will almost always get you a NO reply. Going in knowing what his or her problems are will allow you to identify his problem and how your going to solve that problem.
    And you will be rejected, just know each rejection is one closer to making a sale.
    Good Luck !
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Aug 18, 2007, 03:04 PM
    Great answers.

I agree, whatever you product or service; learn about your potential customer and if your services will apply. Don't waste your time on unqualified prospects, get in front of buying customers who use your product or services and the decision maker!

The web offers a lot of information about sales and is a good source for you. Plan your day/week, know where you are going each day. Search your customers website to get more information about them. They appreciate that you are knowledgeable of what they do.

As far as direct cold calls, I don't now have much opportunity to do this (I am an owner and have sales persons) but I find time at every opportunity to cold call, I love it. If you are prepared and knowledgeable it becomes somewhat of a little game and a satisfying challenge. You will find from experience what questions to ask right up front. Don't mince words, tell them who you are, what you do, who you represent. A lot of times I would simply ask them if they find the service I provide interesting and do they feel they would like to talk further and set an appointment. Obviously, as Chuck said "it's all a matter of numbers." Make as many calls as you can, "go the extra mile each day," don't let rejection get the better of you. ALWAYS remember, they are buying this from someone, I am going to make it ME.

Once I had a ex-salesperson of mine tell me that they can never seem to get past the receptionist or secretary (gatekeeper). They would simply tell him that they already had someone who provided that service for them or "we are happy with our present vendor (I hate that term: vendor)." I worked with him for almost three months; I found that he wasn't cut out for sales, some aren't. But initially when he told me this I couldn't believe that he would turn around and leave thus losing any opportunities for getting a sale. He allowed a person who was not a decision maker, had NOTHING to do with deciding, to determine his future and his family's future, not good. He now works in a cubicle in an office, I liked him he had a great personality but he lacked strong desire.

Stringer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who is listening to your calls? [ 3 Answers ]

I had someone tell me they could listen to anyone's cell phone call by using a scanner, is this true and if so does a cell phone use the same frequency every time a call is made?

Drunk calls [ 2 Answers ]

Heyy everybody... quick question... My boyfriend is currently in Panama City, FL for MTV's spring break with 12 of his friends. We've been seeing each other for about a year and serious for a few months. He was my best friend but we fell in love. Now I know he is obviously drinking being in...

Getting calls from debt collection [ 4 Answers ]

Hey guys, sorry for being a stranger but I have been very, very busy. I have a quick question. I have been getting a call from a debt collection agency or so they say. When we pick up it is a recording. The number they tell us to call back is 877-712-1214. It is Mr. Alexander from I think MCO...

Blocked calls [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a way to block an incoming call on a cell phone? So you wouldn't even know the person was calling?

Should I answer his calls [ 10 Answers ]

My ex and I have been broken up for a few months now and I am not over him. He continues to call me to talk and find out how I am, and to tell me what's up with him. He has even told me he is seeing someone, so I don't understand why he even bothers calling. It hurts so much to talk to him....

View more questions Search