Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennymarsh88 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2013, 05:16 PM
    What can help the pain of painful urination in men caused by slight enlarged prostate
    My father is 75 and at his doctor visit yesterday was told he had a slightly enlarged prostate but nothing the doc was worried about. Tonight he's in terrible pain when he urinates. What can we give him to help ease the pain until Monday when he can call the doctor. It is Friday night and doc is closed.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 20, 2013, 05:19 PM
    Cranberry juice. Saw palmetto (drug store).

Saw Palmetto
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2013, 05:23 PM
    Depending on what it is caused by there are different foods and juices that can help. Cranberry juice being one of them as Wondergirl said
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 20, 2013, 05:34 PM
    It really depends on what's causing the pain. Obviously he's able to urinate, he's just experiencing pain while doing it. I'm not sure cranberry juice will help with the pain.

You have to realize that no one on this site is a doctor, so any advice you get, are from people just like you. We really can't offer any medical advice, and any advice given is something you have to decide on. If you decide to take that advice, you should be aware that it was not based on your fathers medical history, or the issues he's facing, and it could end up doing more harm than good. If you decide to follow the advice given, it could do more harm than good.

Cranberry juice shouldn't hurt him, it's a juice many people consume and has been shown to help with bladder infections. But, will it stop the pain? I highly doubt it. I'd be more inclined to say that he should take tylenol, or another pain reliever to help with the pain. But, like I said above, I'm not a doctor, no one on this site is, and I don't know your fathers medical history.

Is there a walk in clinic you can go to? How severe is the pain?

Sep 20, 2013, 05:34 PM
    He doesn't want to drink much because he is worried about urinating more. I read that cranberry juice was good for uti's and kidney stones but it said maybe not so much for BPH.

Sep 20, 2013, 05:37 PM
    He's pale when he comes out of the bathroom but he is stubborn and won't go to ER and no walk in clinics are open this late. I also read that pain pills could worsen it but to try Tylenol. I will just try the Tylenol and if he's not better tomorrow drag him to the hospital. I love my daddy too much to see him in any kind of pain.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 20, 2013, 05:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jennymarsh88 View Post
    He's pale when he comes out of the bathroom but he is stubborn and won't go to ER and no walk in clinics are open this late. I also read that pain pills could worsen it but to try Tylenol. I will just try the Tylenol and if he's not better tomorrow drag him to the hospital. I love my daddy to much to see him in any kind of pain.
    I completely understand. I had a stubborn father too, one that wouldn't go to the hospital for anything.

Remember that any suggestion we make, is just that, a suggestion. It's not a diagnosis. I would really hate for anything we say here, to make things worse, since we're not doctors, and we really cannot diagnose why he's feeling pain, or what to do about it. A doctor is always your best bet.

If you do end up taking him to the hospital, make sure to disclose your fathers medical history. Let them know the diagnosis he got from his doctor, and any other health issues he may have, that you know of. That will help in treating him properly.

I really wish we could give you absolute advice, but we really can't. I can't stress enough that anything we say, is a suggestion, and not based on actual medical knowledge or education.

Please let us know how he's doing. I hope he's feeling better, and I wish you the best of luck. I know the position you're in, trying to do the best for your father, trying to ease his pain. I know more than I can tell you here.

I wish you and your father the best of luck, and I hope he finds some relief from the pain. I do know one thing for sure, not drinking any fluids, will only make things worse.

Good luck.
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2013, 05:55 PM
    There could be many things causing it these are some of the things I found that may or may not be helpful

Cucumber To Control Urination Pain: Cucumber is cold in nature and it reduces the burning sensation while passing urine and it also helps bring the heat of the body to normal levels. Cucumber is also diuretic in nature and it promotes excretion of urine. Honey and lemon are anti-bacteria in behavior and fight with any infection resulting in the condition.

Take a cup of cucumber extract and to it add a tablespoon each of honey and lemon juice. Mix well and drink it. You can add a little bit of salt and black pepper to give it a good flavor. Drink it thrice a day until the problem is cured. Or drink plain cucumber juice everyday.

Carrot : Carrot juice helps maintain the normal pH levels of urine and controls the burning sensation. It also is a good purifier of blood and gets rid of the building toxins in the body. It improves metabolism, increases immunity, and helps the body fight against bacteria, and controls diabetes.

Dark cherry juice if it is gout related

If he doesn't want to drink juices now maybe after he sees the doctor and it isn't as bad he could try foods and juices that can help. Its always best to eat or avoid certain foods depending on your health conditions.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 20, 2013, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I do know one thing for sure, not drinking any fluids, will only make things worse.
    That's why I said the cranberry juice. He needs to drink a lot of water or the juice. He needs to keep liquids flowing. My husband lived on cranberry juice on the rocks when he had an enlarged prostate. Tylenol and saw palmetto kept him from going crazy with pain. The OP's father has already seen a doctor and given him a diagnosis. And yes, pain is subjective.
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2013, 06:06 PM
    Definitely saw palmento, and beta sita sterol which is found in green peppers or you can buy the supplements.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painful urination [ 1 Answers ]

When I urinate it burns

Painful urination and lower back pain in right side [ 6 Answers ]

I have been having painful urination with scant amounts and barely able to control my bladder for about a week. Recently, I pass out more amounts of urine, and although the pain has reduced, the lower right part of my back hurts. What's wrong with me please?

The enlarged prostate cure naturally [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir Are there any natural way to cure prostate enlarged cure (just normal no cancer ) Which really done with others really seccessfully kindly

Very painful urination [ 2 Answers ]

For a week I have had very painful urination inside, and when done feel I am not. It hurts to bend over in that spot or touch it. I can hold my urine for a long time but then all of a sudden out of the blue within 5 seconds I can't stand up or make it to the bathroom 10 feet away without already...

Slight cramping after urination [ 2 Answers ]

I am 4 weeks pregnant and I have light cramping after I urinate, just wondering if that is normal? Like should I worry?

View more questions Search