Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bob1670 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2005, 09:23 AM
    Leaking shower drain w/lead ring
    I have a leaking shower drain on the 2nd floor. It is a corner stall by EL Mustee. It has a stamped metal flange with a lead ring mating it to a copper pipe.

I'm confident that I could remove the lead ring but am unsure what to do after that. Can I reuse the flange? Do I need to get a plumber to re-lead the flange? Is there an alternate method that would be secure?

I have the downstairs ceiling open so I can see the pipe but access from the bottom is limited.

What are my options?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 8, 2005, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bob1670
    I have a leaking shower drain on the 2nd floor. It is a corner stall by EL Mustee. It has a stamped metal flange with a lead ring mating it to a copper pipe.

I'm confident that I could remove the lead ring but am unsure what to do after that. Can I reuse the flange? Do I need to get a plumber to re-lead the flange? Is there an alternate method that would be secure?

I have the downstairs ceiling open so I can see the pipe but access from the bottom is limited.

What are my options?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
    Hi Bob, ( You're going to love this answer.)
    If the leak is coming from the lead joint, the repair will take less then five minutes and won't involve changing out anything, or if you're handy calling in a plumber. This advice is coming to you from a old time plumber that cut his teeth on lead joints.
    To stop that leak all you need to do is to recaulk the original lead joint. To do this you will need a set of inside and outside caulking irons. Your local Rent-All or a plumbing shop should be able to furnish them and instruct you in their usage. If not click on back and I'll walk you through the process.
    Cheers, Tom

Feb 8, 2005, 10:55 AM
    'Leaking shower drain w/lead ring'
    I am a bit handy, use to be a mechanic for dealership for 25 years but this lead ring is new to me.

Could you please explain the process?

THanks for such a quick response!
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 8, 2005, 12:00 PM
    Recaulking a lead joint
    I am a bit handy, use to be a mechanic for dealership for 25 years but this lead ring is new to me.

Could you please explain the process?

THanks for such a quick response!
    No problem. Pick up a set of inside and outside caulking irons and a small ball peen hammer. The bevel on the iron being used will always look twards the lead joint. Place the inside iron and work your way around the inside of the lead joint next to the pipe. Don't beat it too hard or you may crack the bell of the soil pipe. That why I suggested a smaller hammer. Do the same on the outside of the lead ring. Work your way around the bell compressing the lead as you do so. This should take care of the leak. To test your work, tonight remove the strainer and jam some wet rags down the drain to make it water tight. Now run 1/2" of water in the shower and let it set overnight. The water level should remain the same and there should moisture visible. Regards, tom

Feb 8, 2005, 12:14 PM
    Thanks once again Tom.

If I understand it correctly, I will essentially be just pushing the lead down and towards its original sealing surface([outside - inner circumference of the flange area] and [inside - the outer circumference of the drain pipe]).

The speed of the replies and their concise simplicity is great. I really appreciate this.
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 8, 2005, 07:02 PM
    You got it! Good luck and let me know how you make out. Tom

Feb 14, 2005, 11:02 AM
    THANKS for the HELP!
    Tom,

I thought I would need a plumber to put a NEW lead ring seal in for me. Your solution worked EASILY.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the repair info.

Thanks again.

Bob
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 14, 2005, 12:37 PM
    THANKS for the HELP!
    Tom,

I thought I would need a plumber to put a NEW lead ring seal in for me. Your solution worked EASILY.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the repair info.

Thanks again.

Bob
    That's why we're here, Bob. Glad to have been of service and if you ever have a problem, (of any sort) AskMeHelpDesk is here. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking shower drain/pipes? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. This looks to be a great forum! I'm glad my search pulled it up. I have a 2nd story shower leak. Directly below the shower is the laundry room and has the furnace ducts/furnace directly below. I've already decided I'll have to remove the ducts and open the ceiling to see what is...

After a remodel shower drain is leaking [ 3 Answers ]

I remodelled my bathroom and now it appears that the shower drain is leaking. I remodelled the shower with a product called syn-mar. A base with shower walls and used a Danze faucet and drain. My first question is I didn't use plumbers putty, instead I used Sicone when installing the drain, Could...

Shower leaking (shower drain pipe?) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will apologize up front for my lack of knowledge in plumbing... but I know enough that I believe that I can fix this problem without having to add on the expense of calling a plumber. I noticed that there were a lot of ants coming into our bathroom. After laying traps and having no...

Shower drain leaking [ 3 Answers ]

When I was starting shower upstairs then there was a leaking in garage ceiling. So I ripped the garage ceiling and found out that there is small brass pipe which connect to shower pipe and other pipe. This small pipe joint with shower drain pipe is leaking. I called the plumber he told me that he...

Shower Drain, leaking connection [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Shower stall started leaking on second floor. Ran water directly into drain with hose from outlet with no leak, so I figure that leaves only the drain connection as the leaking place. Took the drain cover off and found the "plastic" drain pipe and one-piece shower stall in good...

View more questions Search