Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mdhmom2006 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Bonds effective interest rate
    Assume Suzanne Weiser pays $1,040 for a five-year, $1,000 bond paying 8 percent interest. Is the effective (Market) interest rate less than, equal to, or greater than 8 percent? How can you determine this.
    KongTheKonqueror Posts: 75, Reputation: 13

Mar 28, 2007, 09:32 PM
    The amount paid for the bond is greater than the par value of the bond so the bond was sold at a premium. Since the bond was sold at a premium, the market rate is less than the 8 percent coupon rate of the bond.

OR

If you have a financial calculator,
    The payment received is 1000*.08 or $80
    The number of periods is 5.
    The future value is $1,000
    The present value would be -$1040

Then solving for the market rate we get 7.02%

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help w/ bonds and interest on them [ 3 Answers ]

You don't have to give me the answer if you don't want, I would really appreciate knowing how to figure this problem out. Doran Co. issued $40 million face amount of 11% bonds when market interest rates were 11.14% for bonds of similar risk and other characteristics. A. How much interest will...

Journal entires for bonds and computing interest on bonds [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a difficult time understanding bonds. Here is a question that stumps me: Record the sale of $4 million of 10 year, 6% corporate bonds priced at 104 plus two months accrued interest. If interest payments are semiannual, and the interest expense account was debited for $53,600 when...

Effective interest rate [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a mortgage of $500,000 with a monthly payment of $2908.02 at interest rate of 5%, amortized over life of mortgage which is 25 years. The effective monthly rate is then 0.4124%. We also incur $50,000 in transaction costs that is paid as a lump sum when the mortgage originates. On...

View more questions Search